By no that does not help - 20/08/2013 13:41 - United States - Austin

Today, I went to see a therapist for help with my severe fear of spiders. The therapist held a big spider in a box inches away from my face. I ran to the back of the room and asked him why. He responded with, "Aren't therapists supposed to help you face your fears?" I'm paying $150 an hour. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 568
You deserved it 7 775

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Isn't this a valid technique? Flooding or something?

Comments

This is a type of therapy exposure called flooding, I'm sure the therapist would've mentioned it? But the one for you is graduated exposure therapy. :)

TheyCallMeDamien 17

$150/hr, I got the wrong degree.

why the hell would u see a therapist for that? they are a crock of shit.

ViviMage 38

There has to be a more gradual way to do this. See a fake spider. Then touch fake plastic spider. Then hold fake plastic spider. Reason out those irrational fears. Big hairy scary spider is not out to kill you. I don't like spiders but I live in a place with wolf spiders and lots of crickets. The wolf spiders help me with pest control. I even named one "Fred" to make it less scary. Granted insect/spider venom is something I'm highly allergic to. Which is a valid reason to be weary around them. But I don't have a phobia where I can't handle the basement because there might be a spider. And I've had the odd insect as a pet. Usually crickets or walking sticks. But I wouldn't keep a pet wasp!

YDI for not knowing that he's using a very effective technique If you let him keep you neer the spider, it WILL help! You need to learn that he's doig his job correctly and he's doing a damn good job

Having a fear of spiders is common sense. :)

jsc9306 14

Damn! Give me a $150, ill teach you how to kill them. I hate spiders too!

#54 Sudden exposure to the target of a phobia is widely recognised in the therapeutic field as the fastest way to get over the fear. It is also the most distressing way, but it's effective. However, the stress it causes the client is why a significant number of therapists opt for the 'slow desensitisation' method instead. The sudden exposure (I think it's called 'flooding', like #1 stated) is still a valid method, but OP's therapist should have informed her first what was going to happen (and given her a choice to say no).

gothmo 8

Exposure therapy has been shown to produce results. I have to admit there was probably a much slower, gentler way to lead up to that, but still.

yeah this is a real technique I'm a psych major and this is supposed to help you become comfortable with your greatest fear.But it should be a slow progression,not holding spiders right to you against your will.