By no that does not help - 20/08/2013 13:41 - United States - Austin

Today, I went to see a therapist for help with my severe fear of spiders. The therapist held a big spider in a box inches away from my face. I ran to the back of the room and asked him why. He responded with, "Aren't therapists supposed to help you face your fears?" I'm paying $150 an hour. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 568
You deserved it 7 775

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Isn't this a valid technique? Flooding or something?

Comments

You clearly didn't do your research. That's what they do in phobia therapy...

At least it was in a box and not in his hand.

kandaceelena 8

is your fear of spiders getting in the way of your everyday activities? if not I don't see the point of paying $150/hr for that.

He's just going at it in the wrong way... For example, if someone has claustrophobia and you try to cure them by shoving them in a closet until they get over it, you're just going to give them a panic attack (and maybe make their phobia worse). There's such a thing as ''gradual exposure'' instead, or discussing therapy techniques beforehand... Although I don't think anyone would appreciate having a big spider, even if it's in a box, shoved in their face.

Lili_love 14

YDI for going to a therapist over some spiders...nobody likes spiders dude. If I was your therapist I would laugh.

squideth 18

Uh, I love spiders of all kinds. Adorable little monsters. And some people's phobias are so bad that they interfere with day-to-day life, so they must seek therapy. Be happy you don't suffer from such things and stop being so ignorant and insensitive towards those who do.

That's what therapists are supposed to do, although I think the process should begin with something a little less... In your face.

well the only way to face phobias is exposure therapy, ie facing it, people with fears of small places go on subway rides with their therapists, I mean he should have explained that and maybe start with small ones but thats how you get over that fear.

I was scared if water as a young child, and my dad's response was to throw me Lake Michigan. Needless to say, I don't fear water anymore. Sometimes facing your fears can be a good thing. In your case, OP, I don't think your therapist is doing it right. Switch therapists!

I suggest going to a psychologist instead, rather than going to a therapist.