By no that does not help - 20/08/2013 13:41 - United States - Austin

Today, I went to see a therapist for help with my severe fear of spiders. The therapist held a big spider in a box inches away from my face. I ran to the back of the room and asked him why. He responded with, "Aren't therapists supposed to help you face your fears?" I'm paying $150 an hour. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 568
You deserved it 7 775

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Isn't this a valid technique? Flooding or something?

Comments

I don't see what the "FML" is here. You sought help and now regret it because it involves getting over the thing you went over to get help with in the first place?!

Wittledinosaure 7

Why would you pay $150 an hr for something like that? It's so common of a fear. And unless your job requires you to deal with spiders or your around then a lot then why waste your money on the first place?

If the fear is severe enough it's definitely worth getting therapy for. I don't have that bad of a spider phobia and i want treatment. Seeing a spider or a creepy bug in general freaks me out and i can't go best it unless i have something long to kill it with.

Wittledinosaure 7
aliiballybee 9

You're paying $150 an hour to get over a phobia of spiders?! That's crazy!! Do what everyone else who is scared of spiders does, run out if the room crying and call someone who isn't scared of them?! **** paying that amount of money....

150493x 29

Maybe it was a bit too much too soon for OP. Even if it is a technique. Good luck anyway, OP.

My wife catches spiders and chases me round the house with them. I'm not sure what's worse; that you paid to be tortured or that I live with my torturer!

Change your therapist. He should consult you before beginning any treatment. And even if exposure is a good method and often helps, it should never be that sudden. You have to go easy, beginning with pictures and while you are calm. Everyone would be scared to have such a thing showed in their face, and that scare just reinforces that they are creepy little *******...

yikes! you may want to find a therapist with a gentler approach...

The only way you can conquer your fears is by facing them. It sucks but it's what they're supposed to do. But I guess the therapist shouldn't have done that so suddenly. Anyways, $150 per HOUR seems way too much..

That's what he's supposed to do...? Research, OP. You deserve it for going into something without looking into it first. It's always a possibility. I've been through it.