By no that does not help - 20/08/2013 13:41 - United States - Austin

Today, I went to see a therapist for help with my severe fear of spiders. The therapist held a big spider in a box inches away from my face. I ran to the back of the room and asked him why. He responded with, "Aren't therapists supposed to help you face your fears?" I'm paying $150 an hour. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 568
You deserved it 7 775

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Isn't this a valid technique? Flooding or something?

Comments

You had me at "I ran to the back of the room and asked why".

When you asked "Why" did you honestly not already know the answer?

It's a valid type of exposure therapy; it can be really helpful. If you're truly mad about the money you're paying, then try it at home or walk through a display of large spiders in cages.

Zealousmerc 1

Actually O.P. has every right to be pissed...the therapist sucks at exposure therapy. Though flooding is helpful and a legitimate therapy technique, it has to be done gradually building on the comfort zone of the client (O.P.). Generally one works with a plush object resembling a spider, then a slightly more realistic looking one, etc all the way up to the real thing. Once the client is alright with being in the same room as the spider then and only then will the therapist have them move closer to the spider until the client is able to hold and touch the spider. The most important thing is that the client is able to have the spider (stimulant) removed at any time!

You can pay me 50$ and I'll capture spiders and shove them in your face saying soothing things :P.

My mom made me see a therapist for my arachnophobia and she did the same thing. I didn't sleep for a week >.