By no that does not help - 20/08/2013 13:41 - United States - Austin

Today, I went to see a therapist for help with my severe fear of spiders. The therapist held a big spider in a box inches away from my face. I ran to the back of the room and asked him why. He responded with, "Aren't therapists supposed to help you face your fears?" I'm paying $150 an hour. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 568
You deserved it 7 775

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Isn't this a valid technique? Flooding or something?

Comments

"Hey doc, your receptionist told me your phobic of being punched in the face, lets try some of those therapeutic techniques on you."

whiteboy896 9

$150 an hour? Shit, i can do that for $20.

Tessa_11 19

I have a fear of spiders. But i dont think im ever going to get over it. I agree your life sucks.

martin8337 35

Make sure that was a therapist and not the rapist .

I get them confused all the time.. *rubs sore butt*

VeylonaBloodsea 6

While aversion therapy is a valid technique, a key element is consent. This idiot clearly surprised OP, which is the exact opposite of useful. Time to find a new therapist.

I'd ask your therapist if he's afraid of losing his job and if he'd like help facing that fear, too. $150/hour is a lot of freaking money for that kind of treatment!

Ummmm "Baby Steps" just like in "What about Bob". (:

skyeyez9 24

I have seen spiders many times in my life. From tiny jumping spiders to the Camel spider which is the most hideous thing ever....each "exposure" still left me with chills and the heebie jeebies. Exposing yourself to spiders isnt for everyone. And I still hate them. That therapist needs to find another technique for OP.

Sometimes exposure is the best way to overcome fear, however, he should have eased you into it rather than shock you. I suppose to find another therapist or try rhythmic breathing during this to combat hyperventilation.