By Anonymous - 06/07/2014 18:06 - United States - Monterey Park

Today, I went on a job interview. The interviewer said it all went well, but he can't hire me because I've got a nose piercing, and that type of "image" isn't the kind they're looking for in their employees. This is the guy who had a full sleeve tattoo. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 418
You deserved it 7 975

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah the image they're going for is "badass" and you didn't quite hit the mark ;(

Comments

One thing has nothing to do with another. I have a few tattoos but won't hire anyone with a piercing anywhere but their earlobe, and then it has to be a standard piercing. No barbells, gauges, anything else remotely gross looking.

he didn't even offer you a chance to maybe work without it ?

You're a guy so I can't assume you have a nose stud or a septum. I have had both. nose stud - clear retainer. it's now practically invisible. septum - flip that bad boy up and it's completely invisible unless someone is looking directly up your nose. either way, nose rings are easy to hide. I also have a sleeve, that actually isn't that easy to hide. Either I have to wear long sleeve, and I live in Southeast Georgia where in summer it typically feels 110 outside (yay humidity) or I spend a ton of money on tattoo cover up. I would never change it though. my piercings, all eleven of them, and my tattoos make me very happy. So, hopefully you can find a job where they don't mind and you can enjoy it.

Maybe the "image" he was talking about was of a guy who didn't even remove his nose piercing before a job interview. Sure, he let you see his tattoos. But he wasn't the one who was there to impress, you were. I don't work in a field where people mind about tattoos or piercings, yet I always remove my ear piercings when I go to a job interview or an important presentation, and I make sure that my tattoos are hidden. It's just common sense. So yeah, I would probably have minded too if I was the guy. It's not a matter of having a piercing or a tattoo, it's about making an effort to hide them, then asking if it is okay with them for you to show them or not.

mattmsk005 8

Well With a tattoo u can just cover it up with clothing.

Ya but a sleeve can be covered by a shirt when dealing with customers. A nose ring can't.

Did you mention that too him? Did you ask him why tattoos are allowed in the workplace but piercings aren't. That's discrimination.

Well I hope he puts a better reason for not hiring you in his paperwork or you've got yourself a nice discrimination lawsuit

Axel5238 29

No he doesn't I wish people would stop saying that. It is their business, if your attire or style could be safety issue or doesn't fit in with what is required they don't have to hire you. There is a corporate image and ya got to do by what they want.

Piercings aren't a protected class. In addition, if you don't think to take it out for interviews, you probably should think a little more before those types of things. You don't know if your interviewer will have piercings or tattoos, and if you just let yours fly, it doesn't show that you're interested in impressing a potential employer

You can cover up a sleeve a lot easier than you can hide a nose piercing.

Sorry to hear that op but if they treat you like that then maybe you're better off not working there.