By Anonymous - 06/07/2014 18:06 - United States - Monterey Park

Today, I went on a job interview. The interviewer said it all went well, but he can't hire me because I've got a nose piercing, and that type of "image" isn't the kind they're looking for in their employees. This is the guy who had a full sleeve tattoo. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 418
You deserved it 7 975

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah the image they're going for is "badass" and you didn't quite hit the mark ;(

Comments

Offer to take it out during work hours? Although it sounds like an excuse to me and maybe you just weren't right for the job.

Nose piercings close way to fast. If he allowed a piercing retainer that would be the only way.

Depends how long you've had it, I've had mine for 20 years, haven't worn anything in it for 10 and it's still open.

I think it depends on the person as well. I've had mine for 8 years and it starts to close up pretty much immediately if I take it out.

Yea if I take mine out it starts to close almost immediately.

tweetypie 18

Because it's not like you could just take it out or anything....

I don't think that appearance should matter when applying for a job.

Why shouldn't it? No matter what people want to delude themselves with image matters. In this case it's slightly hypocritical since most piercings can be removed just like tattoos can be covered. It doesn't change the fact that you should go to any job interview looking as professional as possible. If I go in for a job interview in a tank top and rugby shorts I would expect to not get the job. Even if it was a job as a rugby coach.

You, my friend, are wrong. Appearance is everything in regards to interviews.

#24. Smartest comment/reply on this entire post.

Axel5238 29

Depending on where you are applying ,but image does matter. If you are applying for work in a law office or other professional place you can't have piercings normally and if your hair is dyed that's fine provided it isn't rainbow color or what not. You can't apply looking like a poster child for hot topic if you are trying to work in most offices. That's just how it is, tattoos depending may have to be covered or at least could be and generally no piercings outside of earrings.

13: maybe if you're applying for a phone sex operator... But anything to do with customers or even other employees makes appearance important. No matter what people say, appearance is the first thing that people look for to judge a person, company, etc.

Depends on where you are going for your interview. At my job, we laugh at people who show up like they're trying to impress somebody with their appearance... Especially if they come to work for us and they are nothing like that.

therealjc_fml 14

I have a sleeve plus more but I wear long sleeve shirts to work because it's my policy to cover them. I hire people with tattoos and piercings all the time as long as they can cover them. For piercings I allow clear plugs. Idk why he can't offer a compromise. But it's his loss.

Axel5238 29

Lots of people when I worked at a hospital and other places are ok with tattoos as long as they could be hidden. Piercings though depending where you are applying may not be allowed unless it's an earring for either image or it could be considered a safety hazard.

You can cover a tattoo up easier than a piercing. But he's still a hypocrite

That is ridiculous! Sorry, OP. That being said you should never wear noticeable piercings or show tattoos during a job interview

Maybe everyone else that works there has tatts and he just thinks you would not fit in.