By Anonymous - 08/08/2009 07:02 - United States

Today, I was working in the box office. A group came in for tickets but wanted to pay individually. One paid $40 for a $25 ticket. Laughing, I reached for the calculator while saying, "I went to public school, so I can't do math." They didn't laugh. They were all teachers in public schools. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 042
You deserved it 55 238

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why? Why are people so giddy that they're mathematically incapable? Nobody goes, "teehee, I read at a 6th-grade level!" "I struggle with subject/verb agreement and homophones in my native language!" Don't be proud of the fact that you're a dumbass.

Its really not that hard a sum, dude. o_O

Comments

Haha thats so funny because I went to a SUPER ghetto public school and I am a box office cashier and I can do change from any amount IN MY HEAD!

fieldhockyluva24 4

Sometimes when customers give you more than you thought they would, it throws your mind off. Give her some slack. It's easy for everyone else to say $15 after having time to process the problem, or reading the 20 posts before them that also said $15.

philly8608 0

Sorry $40 for a $25 sale isn't that unusual. It's two $20 dollar bills, it's not like the total came to $25 and was given $127.32 or something. Even on the spot 40 - 25 shouldn't require a calculator. It's like being asked to spell 'Canada' on the spot, unexpected?Yes, but just like basic math, it's still easy to handle. That and the OP is a cashier, so determing change is something they get practice doing and should at least be competent at doing so.

My mom is a public school math teacher, and she would laugh her ass off at that--she knows that that stereotype is true to a certain extent, because those other teachers failed to teach her kids proper math. Those teachers have no sense of humor.

Haha the joke you made was HILARIOUS. Is there a "they deserve it" button? They're the ones who have been taking a dump on America's education for 30 years.

You did not have to apologize OP. It was already clear to all the readers. New Jersey Woman + New Jersey PS Education = Lifetime Box Office Career. 'Nuff said.

My moms a teacher and would laugh because she knows the education up in Canada where I live is not great. FYL

Maybe if you live in, like, Winnipeg, but the education system here is actually really good. Sooo...

Yea true but in Nova Scotia some of the schools are hellholes (like Halifax) but yeah Winnipeg is full of natives

GMeister13 0

Ydi for being so fuckig stupid!

Uh no. Y-severely-D-I. I went to public school in Jersey and could've done that in less than 5secs, so that's clearly not an excuse.

What should scare everyone is that ignorant and low paid people often end up needing government assistance... free healthcare, public housing, welfare, et cetera. So IF they vote, they vote for the lying idiots who promise them free assistance... but ALWAYS giving them substandard public education, denying school vouchers... thereby creating a permanent ignorant and needy underclass. God forbid that any of this ilk become educated and start thinking for themselves... they might discover the conspiracy to keep them needy. And then the politician's career and power is doomed. The status quo must be maintained. F the greedy, selfish, power-hungry politicians. Damn their scum.

My God there is someone else with rationality on the site. Agreed 100%, but tragically, it's not only the ignorant underclass perpetuating the system, but many members of the upper class who allow emotion to get in the way of rationality, and have a misplaced sense of righteousness to "help" the lower class, when in truth all they do is keep them dumb and blind to the truth. What a system huh?

Um.... Dude.... if you have to ask wtf.... then you prove the point.

adlauren 0

YDI for trying to blame public schooling for inability to do basic math. I spent 12 years in public schooling and am about to enter my fourth year at a public university and I daresay my education is lacking to a point where I would need a calculator to work a minimum wage job. The teachers had every right to feel insulted and I hope the reported you to your boss for being inappropriate and incompetent.