By Anonymous - 08/08/2009 07:02 - United States

Today, I was working in the box office. A group came in for tickets but wanted to pay individually. One paid $40 for a $25 ticket. Laughing, I reached for the calculator while saying, "I went to public school, so I can't do math." They didn't laugh. They were all teachers in public schools. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 042
You deserved it 55 238

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why? Why are people so giddy that they're mathematically incapable? Nobody goes, "teehee, I read at a 6th-grade level!" "I struggle with subject/verb agreement and homophones in my native language!" Don't be proud of the fact that you're a dumbass.

Its really not that hard a sum, dude. o_O

Comments

OH, gawd. you really shouldn´t have said that. But it isn´t that hard. If you have a job at all, you MUST be able to do the math.

When I went to a Revolution game at gillete stadium, I got popcorn and the lady couldn't figure out the change and she was like 22 and I'm 15 and I corrected her. I really find it so funny how dumb people are today. Hahaha

Wow everyone, I was quite under the impression OP was joking around as an excuse for grabbing the calculator instead of doing it in her head. Otherwise, the whole "they were public school teachers" bit wouldn't be important as to why it was an FML. Especially since she was expecting them to laugh.

If I were in that group of teachers I don't know if I'd laugh or just start weeping that people from public schools could be that ******* stupid. Don't blame the school, there's no way you can actually go to school and not be able to figure out what 40-25 is. I mean, you don't even need to go to school. People living on the street know that shit.

YDI for trying to be funny in a service job

If you work in retail, you should be able to do simple calculations in your head.

I work in retail but I can't do simple calculations because I have dyscalculia. Way to discriminate against people with learning difficulties, Mooby. My boss successfully runs a shop but he can't spell because he is dyslexic. Perhaps he should also get into another business? Lucky for us, we live in a country that supports equal opportunities.

cactus_fml 0

I thought the joke was funny. :P But seriously, just learn how to subtract.

Agreeing with #150. I have dyscalculia too and people often act like I'm stupid for being bad at maths. >.

Many smart people went to state schools so frankly, that's a pathetic excuse. I think everyone else who's commented agrees. Were you serious when you got the calculator?