By Anonymous - 08/08/2009 07:02 - United States

Today, I was working in the box office. A group came in for tickets but wanted to pay individually. One paid $40 for a $25 ticket. Laughing, I reached for the calculator while saying, "I went to public school, so I can't do math." They didn't laugh. They were all teachers in public schools. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 042
You deserved it 55 238

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why? Why are people so giddy that they're mathematically incapable? Nobody goes, "teehee, I read at a 6th-grade level!" "I struggle with subject/verb agreement and homophones in my native language!" Don't be proud of the fact that you're a dumbass.

Its really not that hard a sum, dude. o_O

Comments

People who are blaming teachers need to wake the **** up. I left education 5 years ago, and from my high school yeargroup of 250, I can tell you now which kids grew up to be minimum wage benefit claimants living on shitty council-owned housing estates spending my tax money on cigarettes and cheap lager. We all had the same teachers, some just chose not to pay any attention to them. Aside from the unfortunate few with GENUINE disabilities, the only reason for anybody to leave school without a good basic level of literacy and numeracy is that they refused to be taught.

I feel bad for you not knowing how to do simple math. Pretty sure a kindergartner could do it.

renyark209 0

How ******* old are you???? 40-25=15 genius. My eight year old sister goes to public school and is easily capable of this... Without a calc.

trust me, it's not the public school's fault. you are just stupid lol.

NO! It is the public school's fault, and it is the PARENTS fault for accepting substandard education for their children. Cut the MOFO TV off and get involved. Refuse to accept whatever. Demand, insist, that your child have a better education than you. If you don't want a better life for your child, you should not be a parent.

You're correct in saying it's the parents' fault, but for the wrong reason. What you've basically said is "it's the parents fault for not blaming other people enough". Parents need to encourage their kids to learn, to put effort in at school, and they need to discipline them appropriately when they don't. The fact that not everybody leaves school incapable of functioning in society proves it is NOT the fault of the schools and/or teachers. It is the fault of lazy, ignorant young people and the parents that can't or won't sort their offspring out.

I agree with you. If you reread my comment... it is the Public School system's fault AND its the parent's fault... that is very clear from my statements. It is the PARENT's responsibility to insure their child is educated. That means holding the SCHOOL system accountable for its responsibilities. There is not a lone contributing factor. There are many contributing factors... Parents, School, Madison Avenue, illegal drugs, caviler sex, and a myriad of competing entertainment venues... Sports, Internet, Hollywood, Television, etc. Too many parents do not know, and/or care, and/or wish to manage/forbid/train their children in prioritizing their time, observing societal manners, obeying rules and laws, and dare I say (yes I will) instructing right and wrong and values and morals. Leave it up to a child (or the school) to address homework, chores, "discover their values" or to have sex/drugs/surf ****/TV et cetera, and in 12 years, IF YOU ARE LUCKY, you may have a child with Hollywood values who can use a calculator to do simply math . In many instances, the kids will drop out of school. Trillions have been thrown at education by legislators... but its not the School System alones fault. The USA outspends, per capita, every other Country in education... but at this point in time, India, China, Japan, S. Korea, et cetera produce more scholars than we do. I am VERY happy for those Countries, but I AM PISSED at the return on investment MY education tax dollars recognize. Hillary and Blue States may teach (as #78 so exquisitely put it: the arrogant upper class... who knows what's best for the underclass) that it take's a Village to raise a child... but US Government and local community efforts have done little to overcome what Mom/Dad have not done. Education, respect, and moral values START in the home. Money alone cannot cure what is wrong in the heart and mind. Do I expect much agreement with these thoughts? No, but 50% might agree. Why 50%? Because only 50% or so PAY taxes for all education, welfare, military agendas, and administrative bureaucracy in the USA. Why? Because these 50% are the only ones making enough to pay taxes. Why? Because they have chosen (or been made) to pursue education and be contributing members to society. We are living up to OUR responsibilities; is it too much to ask for (most) of the remaining 50% to step up and begin to correct this decay in their education, parental responsibility, and eventually contribute taxes for the good of the whole? So all joking aside, I say to the OP: it is not FYL.... it is F Our Lives because WE have to carry the water for an unacceptably high underclass. My apologies for this tirade. I like most come here to laugh, insult some, be entertained.... but occasionally an FML touches a nerve. And now, I feel better.

@94: I would be remiss if I did not comment directly on your post. In far fewer words than I, you stated it elegantly in your simplicity. I agree with you. But I do not want to leave an impression that I subscribe or promote the notion that "it's the parents fault for not blaming other people enough". It's first and foremost a parental responsibility for raising their children. That parental responsibility however, demands that others (including the children) successfully fulfill their responsibilities. Many forces touch and influence children, but in the USA, ultimately the legal guardians are charged with insuring that the health, welfare, and education of their children is satisfactorily fulfilled until the age of 18.

skiBOAT 0

Really? You can't count by fives?

heyitsmandy 0

YDI for not paying attention in the 4th grade. BUT hey, look at the bright side, you have a job! =) #88, it said a group came in, lol. o_o So maybe 5 people came in.

Yes, that's an easy difference. However, in America, there is this thing called sales tax, and I'll be damned if that ticket came out to exactly $25.00. It was probably $40 - $25.29. Now in a box office dealing with a customer line, I would bust out the calculator as well. **** doing math while 10 people are waiting to buy a ticket.

Who cares if there are 1, 5, 10, or 20 in line? You still going to make minimum wage regardless of how long it takes. If number 20 shows up late and misses the movie intro's, that's their tuff luck, not yours. But, I know you might not grasp the math in this statement. So grab a calculator to try and figure it out.

There's no sales tax on the movie tickets I buy.-.-

okay, man, 14.71. no calculator, five seconds, hated and bombed math all throughout public school, haven't done a math problem in four years. if you cannot do simple addition and subtraction fast in your head you are not holding yourself to a high enough standard.

Playing devil's advocate in a mostly unanimous decision. Don't get too worked up over it, but yeah, I agree with you.

bbobe900000 0

I agree with the OP--how can teachers teach anything if they can't get their students' attention? Most high school teachers put up with too much shit from students, resulting in people like the OP. ie people who don't have basic skills to get through life because they were too busy dickin around in school to actually try and learn. YDI for not knowing that, though. btw #93, "tuff" luck? hahahahaha

quivx 7

The teachers deserved to hear that. I agree with the OP's sentiment. Speak it brotha

dRose22 0

YDI for going to a public school