By airborne - 06/05/2009 01:11 - United States

Today, I saw someone drive recklessly as if they were drunk. When I called the cops, I got pulled over by another cop for talking on my cell phone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 159
You deserved it 17 606

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks man. I'm sure if you explain to the judge they should drop the ticket or at least the fee partially.

Leptailurus 0

As much as I hate when people talk on their cell phones while driving, I have to admit that billboard is horribly misleading in that case. I agree, FYL.

Comments

I thought it was only warning or $30 for the first time and it gets higher as you do it more. I'm pretty sure thats how it is in california but i dont know in other places.

#5, so you're saying that by talking on the phone without a bluetooth or hands-free set, you can't see where you are going? Right. I don't understand why people make out talking on the phone while driving to be so difficult. It's really not that hard...unless you're a complete idiot. And, OP, just take it to courth and say that you were calling to report a drunk driver, and show your phone record, and if you're telling the truth 911 will come up. Done. No judge is gonna argue with that.

You should really look at your local laws. Here in Washington State, you can't get a ticket if you're calling 911.

Either this is just a story, or hugely coincidental. Really, how often do you happen to be behind another driver who is obviously drunk and dangerous? I've only had the opportunity once, and have driven hundreds of thousands of miles over the last 20+ years. The only one I had to call in was on an Interstate (yes, in America). I was doing the speed limit, and I saw him ahead. He was drifting in the right lane. He would suddenly swerve left, off the road, and then back on, only to hit the dirt on the right side, and then back into his lane. He would be somewhat coherent for about a minute, and then start drifting again. I slowed to his speed (about 40mph), and sat back in the right lane, trying to protect other drivers from getting hit. I got on the phone with the highway patrol's DUI number (their * number), where I gave our location, the plate number, approximate year, make model and color of his vehicle, and described what he was doing as we were driving. He eventually stopped. In the middle of the road. He sat there for a minute, and started driving again at about 70. I sat back and observed, as all the other cars behind us were doing too. He then slowed to about 40, and made a hard right off the road, finally got stuck in the ditch. I asked if they needed me to stay. They said no, and that there was an officer almost there. At least no one got killed. If I had passed him at highway speeds, and he swerved into me, I would have been pushed into a guard rail, tree, or possibly into oncoming traffic. For making the call, I see no reason for the officer to give you a ticket, assuming your story is real. Go to court and explain it. Note the day/time and duration of your call, so they can check the emergency ops phone logs to confirm.

Also, #37 you're retarded. Drunk drivers aren't exactly rare, and the OP wasn't following one. They simply said they happened to see someone later who might have been. Also, in a few states it's illegal to talk on a phone while driving, the OP obviously lives in one of those states. So yes, the cop had plenty of reason to pull her/him and right them a ticket.

aw man, 38 beat me to it! someone was clearly trying to make their quota by catching people on their cell phones =P.

Wow... that sucks. Although, I have to say - as a money-making scheme, it's genius.

For all you people calling the OP a snitch..... i kind of want to wish that you are hit by a drunk driver who WASN'T reported in by someone else when they could have been taken off the road. I don't normally wish things like that on people, but i hope you realize the stupidity of that statement.

Wow, FYL for living in a state where it's illegal to drive with a cell phone. I find myself to be far more distracted when I've got one person in the passenger seat than when I've got a cell phone out.