By iplaytwister - 22/10/2009 21:00 - United States

Today, I realized that sometimes I forget to turn off my desk light when I leave the room for dinner. I also learned that said desk light can get hot enough to melt plastic, which is why my brand-new laptop screen was literally oozing onto the table top when I got back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 744
You deserved it 12 857

iplaytwister tells us more.

OP here. Technically this happened almost a year ago, and I wrote the FML from my new(er) laptop, which is a mac. It WAS true, and the desk light was a regular desk light, I had it like 8 inches from the screen (Toshiba laptop), and it melted the plastic all around the corner of my screen and onto my screen. When I rescued it, I could see into the cords and everything inside. so yea.

Top comments

fuckyou1337 0

Errrm what crappy laptop do you have? I don't know of any that would have a plastic screen, and seeing as the internal components of a laptop can get very hot if you are doing something that requires a lot of power, I doubt you would have a lamp that can get your laptop hotter than that and melt it.

How long were you at lunch for? That is a powerful lamp.

Comments

HelloMyName 0

Fake. There is absolutely NO way that a simple desk lamp can generate that much energy. I have a lamp that has five bulbs in it, about 2 feet away from my computer; this thing is like the ******* sun with just two of lights on, and it gives off a lot of heat then. Your lamp's bulb would practically have to be in contact with your screen to melt it, and even then it would only be just starting to peel. Stop trolling.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers, I believe you. I've done the same thing, although it didn't ruin the screen - it just melted the piece around it. I now use that lamp to keep my beta fish's water warm when it's cold.

"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!" *turns lamp on*

Yeah that happened with my laptop... except only the top of it melted. I didn't even know lamos could get that hot until then x.x

Gen_Knowledge, that was epic. I commend you good sir. lol

Same thing happened to my IPod. I was reading and fell asleep with it under my desk lamp. I woke up about an hour later to find that most of the front casing was rather soft and gooey, the central control ring had crumpled up and shrunk, and the center button had warped and popped off. It's not fun.

Next time try putting your lunch under the lamp! You could cook up a hot meal instead of your laptop! ^_^