By iplaytwister - 22/10/2009 21:00 - United States

Today, I realized that sometimes I forget to turn off my desk light when I leave the room for dinner. I also learned that said desk light can get hot enough to melt plastic, which is why my brand-new laptop screen was literally oozing onto the table top when I got back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 744
You deserved it 12 857

iplaytwister tells us more.

OP here. Technically this happened almost a year ago, and I wrote the FML from my new(er) laptop, which is a mac. It WAS true, and the desk light was a regular desk light, I had it like 8 inches from the screen (Toshiba laptop), and it melted the plastic all around the corner of my screen and onto my screen. When I rescued it, I could see into the cords and everything inside. so yea.

Top comments

fuckyou1337 0

Errrm what crappy laptop do you have? I don't know of any that would have a plastic screen, and seeing as the internal components of a laptop can get very hot if you are doing something that requires a lot of power, I doubt you would have a lamp that can get your laptop hotter than that and melt it.

How long were you at lunch for? That is a powerful lamp.

Comments

No this is not fake. I have a lamp that is alarmingly hot like that, and it could totally melt plastic.

I think its just certain types of light bulbs that get really hot. Also, its not the heat of the light that melted the laptop, its the heat of the bulb. Any bulb can get really hot, you just don't usually notice it because they are far enough away that you can't feel it. His desk lamp must have been situated right next to his laptop. Sucks.

wowww that really sucks!! should have read the warnings, your wasting energy doing that too....shame

that's not a desk light, that's a flood light.

And that's why you should look into buying those swirly bulbs filled with the special gas. They give off way less heat than the standard bulb, which in turn won't melt anything. It really sucks that your laptop got melted.

EveryDayJackAss 0

wtf!? was the lightbulb from that thing taken from the Sun or something?

This is probably false. You'd have to have a freaking hot bulb to do that, and if it got that hot, you wouldn't be able to sit near it at your desk. You can leave a laptop in a car on a ridiculously hot day - and temperatures inside cars on hot days can go higher than 50 degrees C (120deg F) - and that wouldn't melt a laptop screen. I guess it's vaguely possible, but unlikely.

RachelTM 0

She did not LITERALLY beg for that. LITERALLY means she ACTUALLY did it. Did she ACTUALLY beg the light to melt her laptop? NO. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=2215257933&ref=ts

was your lamp an fing blow torch ? someone please tell me what kind of lamp can do this.

Omg... I would have died if that happened to my computer...