By iplaytwister - 22/10/2009 21:00 - United States

Today, I realized that sometimes I forget to turn off my desk light when I leave the room for dinner. I also learned that said desk light can get hot enough to melt plastic, which is why my brand-new laptop screen was literally oozing onto the table top when I got back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 743
You deserved it 12 856

iplaytwister tells us more.

OP here. Technically this happened almost a year ago, and I wrote the FML from my new(er) laptop, which is a mac. It WAS true, and the desk light was a regular desk light, I had it like 8 inches from the screen (Toshiba laptop), and it melted the plastic all around the corner of my screen and onto my screen. When I rescued it, I could see into the cords and everything inside. so yea.

Top comments

fuckyou1337 0

Errrm what crappy laptop do you have? I don't know of any that would have a plastic screen, and seeing as the internal components of a laptop can get very hot if you are doing something that requires a lot of power, I doubt you would have a lamp that can get your laptop hotter than that and melt it.

How long were you at lunch for? That is a powerful lamp.

Comments

dspadres 0

Did you have the light literally resting on your screen? How did you manage to get it close enough?

Usually I hate it when people automatically scream "fake!" because there is at least one in every FML. But this time I'm going to give a big, fat "I don't ******* believe this story."

fuckyou1337 0

Hrmm I had 4th reply but I don't know what happened to it. But anyways I agree. Besides the fact I've never seen a laptop with a plastic screen, the internal components of a laptop get at least 5x hotter than anything a simple lamp could so you computer screen shouldn't melt. The only chance you have of that happening is if you had a ******* heat lamp or something similar.

jonfrmfl 0

This happened to me and my brand new laptop like a year ago. its a halogen desk lamp and it was over a foot away from the PC at the time but luckily it only melted a tiny portion near the top so the screen is still perfect.

WHAT A FAKE!!!! if your computer screen broke what the hell are you writing this with? ******

And that's why you use fluorescent light bulbs. They get less hot, and your power bill is smaller

OP here. Technically this happened almost a year ago, and I wrote the FML from my new(er) laptop, which is a mac. It WAS true, and the desk light was a regular desk light, I had it like 8 inches from the screen (Toshiba laptop), and it melted the plastic all around the corner of my screen and onto my screen. When I rescued it, I could see into the cords and everything inside. so yea.

RachelTM 0

Thank you, OP, for coming back to clarify. ;-)

if it got that hot, then call the manufacturer of the lamp or the bulb

QuentinM95 0

Ah, the Archimedes death lamp...

This was not funny the first or second time you said it. Why would it be funny this time around?

wtf did you have a heating lamp you idiot.

iloveronaldo 0

W.O.W!! No comment! I'm just not sure if it's fake or not!