By iplaytwister - 22/10/2009 21:00 - United States

Today, I realized that sometimes I forget to turn off my desk light when I leave the room for dinner. I also learned that said desk light can get hot enough to melt plastic, which is why my brand-new laptop screen was literally oozing onto the table top when I got back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 744
You deserved it 12 857

iplaytwister tells us more.

OP here. Technically this happened almost a year ago, and I wrote the FML from my new(er) laptop, which is a mac. It WAS true, and the desk light was a regular desk light, I had it like 8 inches from the screen (Toshiba laptop), and it melted the plastic all around the corner of my screen and onto my screen. When I rescued it, I could see into the cords and everything inside. so yea.

Top comments

fuckyou1337 0

Errrm what crappy laptop do you have? I don't know of any that would have a plastic screen, and seeing as the internal components of a laptop can get very hot if you are doing something that requires a lot of power, I doubt you would have a lamp that can get your laptop hotter than that and melt it.

How long were you at lunch for? That is a powerful lamp.

Comments

MiniatureMayhem 0

That must've been a long dinner.

Was it a UV lamp? Lucky it was just your laptop... could have set your room ablaze.

What the hell do you use for a desk lamp, a spot light?

Why is every piece of technology that gets destroyed always "brand new" or super expensive "My $4500 laptop..."

That's not to mention that desk lamps are also potential fire hazards when left unattended. Hell, it probably even said that on the box it came in (most do, because they're supposed to). It's also a waste of electricity. YDI.

murdur1 0

What the **** were you using, a heat lamp? No legal lightbulb should be able to melt a laptop screen without being in contact with it. I smell fakery.

happyvalleygirl 0

You're not supposed to use halogen lamps in dorms. Those jawns get hot as **** and are considered a fire hazard. YDI

I call complete bullshit on this. You honestly expect me to believe that a desk lamp could melt your laptop? Was it making direct contact with the light? That's the only thing that would make that story probable. You realize the a laptop and its components are designed to withstand a fair amount of heat just from the laptop being on. I've had several laptops and some of them could and would actually burn my lap because they would get too hot. Yet there was never any melting. And the only melting of an LCD screen that I've ever witnessed was when an LCD monitor was left extremely close to a heater and the outer layer of the screen bubbled. It didn't melt or ooze. How long did it take you to eat dinner anyway? 10 hours? So once again, I call bullshit.

Agreed on this being fake, there is no desk lamp that can do this, especially when you consider everything else you have put under it. Do you regularly get burns on your hands working under this thing or do you simply work for periods of about 5 minutes. Are you trying to claim that with you next to it will somehow change the temperature enough where it wouldn't melt during your work? It would need to maintain ridiculously high temperatures to the point where the lamp itself would be falling apart do to the different metals which make it up and the electrical properties of them.

QuentinM95 0

Sorry for my triple comments, iPods mess things up...