By iplaytwister - 22/10/2009 21:00 - United States

Today, I realized that sometimes I forget to turn off my desk light when I leave the room for dinner. I also learned that said desk light can get hot enough to melt plastic, which is why my brand-new laptop screen was literally oozing onto the table top when I got back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 744
You deserved it 12 857

iplaytwister tells us more.

OP here. Technically this happened almost a year ago, and I wrote the FML from my new(er) laptop, which is a mac. It WAS true, and the desk light was a regular desk light, I had it like 8 inches from the screen (Toshiba laptop), and it melted the plastic all around the corner of my screen and onto my screen. When I rescued it, I could see into the cords and everything inside. so yea.

Top comments

fuckyou1337 0

Errrm what crappy laptop do you have? I don't know of any that would have a plastic screen, and seeing as the internal components of a laptop can get very hot if you are doing something that requires a lot of power, I doubt you would have a lamp that can get your laptop hotter than that and melt it.

How long were you at lunch for? That is a powerful lamp.

Comments

How long were you at lunch for? That is a powerful lamp.

Holy geez, what kind of a lamp /is/ that?!

fuckyou1337 0

Errrm what crappy laptop do you have? I don't know of any that would have a plastic screen, and seeing as the internal components of a laptop can get very hot if you are doing something that requires a lot of power, I doubt you would have a lamp that can get your laptop hotter than that and melt it.

alaskanhybrid 5

Considering a normal incandecent light bulb loses 90 percent of its energy to heat, I am not surprised this happened. OP you need a proper computer lamp that uses led's. They only lose up to 20 percent of their energy to heat. Most laptops use lcd screens and majority of them are covered in a plastic film.

I had a similar problem to OPs, however it was my webcam that melted and not my monitor...

Wellll most monitor screens are plastic, in case you don't know, the screen sits above the computer components, and they definitely don't get hot enough to melt plastic, if they were built properly

Wow!!! that's crazy!!! :) I would of freaked!

blow_chlo 0

wow, what kind of lamp do you have? and if you have forgotten to turn the lamp off before wouldn't it have melted your screen already???

Are you sure it's a lamp and not a laser cannon? Perhaps a microwave oven?

bosshaug 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

this stays up yet somehow my comment disappears about OP YDI for mistaking a tanning lamp for a table lamp? Hmmm I declare shanagins on that one.

uh-oh, somebody better call whine-one-one and see if they can get a WHAAAmbulance out here.

snickerz01 0
BluPenguin 3

Ever notice how these people never destroy their old, crappy computer?

UsernameHere_ 0

Probaby because older computers are more durable, and no one really cares when they brake so no one bothers with a FML. But yeah, I'm gonna have to say this is fake for several reasons... 1) Why would the lamp be shining directly one your screen? 2) How the **** would it produce that much heat even if it was shining directly on the screen without touching it?

And ... 3 ... Why on earth would OP say she bought a new laptop if it was an old, crappy one??