By taylorgo - 16/07/2009 18:50 - United States

Today, I quit my job because my company wouldn't give me the raise I've been asking for for 2 years. I just saw the ad on Craigslist for my replacement position. The starting salary is above what I was asking for. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 035
You deserved it 4 916

taylorgo tells us more.

taylorgo 0

Hey all - Thanks for the comments... I did have another job before quitting and I did give my 2 week notice. I'm not stupid in this kind of economy. When giving my 2 week notice, my boss offered to match my current salary and I denied it. I then saw the craigslist posting for more money after I already denied what my boss tried to match for me since I felt it was too late and my new job paid way more. Therefore the uneducated, stupid, and not doing well at my job part doesn't apply. However the undervalued, stupid boss does. :)

Top comments

lol i think you should try and reapply for that job and see if you get it, thatd be hilarious if you did.

CowGoesMoo 0

You quit in this economy???? you're brave!

Comments

Essentials 0

good fuckem. who needs a job in this economy anyways......

I knew someone who was fired for asking for a raise. He was making about 50% less than new people being brought in to do the same work in the same department. He wasn't even asking for the full amount, just a 10% raise. They fired him, and hired two guys at more than the last new people had been hired at. So, two brand new people who didn't know the ropes, rather than retaining a guy who had been there for years, and knew pretty much everything about the operation. I won't say he was the absolutely most skilled person, but he was definitely worth keeping. I made it through 5 rounds of firings before the department head axed me, because I was more knowledgeable than him. So, more new people who don't know the operation are running it at higher pay. It's going well for the deparment head who works under the concept of "job security through obscurity", And, if you read this yes, I'm talking about you.

To all those who keep saying that the company was stupid for letting her go; Experience isn't everything. In fact, experience is one of the last places that count in most areas save a select few (IT, for example). You may be new to the field, but if you're intelligent and have a good work ethic, you will be a dozen times more valuable to a company than someone who's been working there for 10 years but only puts in a couple hours of useful effort a day. And as for why they didn't fire her; with the discrimination laws the way they are, if you fire a woman or a minority for any reason that isn't bolded in big red letters on the job requirements, you have a lawsuit on your hands. Finally, #48, sarcasm is fun! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~

Thanks, for "getting" it, Finnboghi! I've never understood why we don't have equal pay for equal work in this country. I was just tossing it out as flame-bait.

if you didn't have a fall back then YDI should of stuck it out a bit longer, raises arn't that big a deal in times like this.

it's really your fault. you sucked at your job, that's why you didn't get a raise.

I have an idea for your infantile excuse of a human mind to chew on: YOU DIDNT DESERVE THE RAISE, FUCKTARD. THEY FIGURED NO ONE COULD POSSIBLY DO A WORSE JOB THAN YOU.

quitting a job right now is STUPID. good luck finding a new one at all. i don't know how it is where you live, but quitting means no unemployment checks, here.

McLovinIt 0

my guess is they don't think you're worth what you were asking. The job may entail more money for a replacement, but they didn't think you deserved it Sorry - move on