By BriarFace - 29/03/2016 01:56 - United States - Springfield

Today, I put up a sign asking motorcyclists to slow down near horses, as the noise can spook them. While I was riding near the sign, a biker slowed to read it, looked at me, then revved his engine loudly and raced off. My horse bucked me off into some brambles and bolted. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 975
You deserved it 2 185

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Assholes are everywhere, some of them ride motorcycles.

Roskosity 22

That really sucks. It takes a while to desensitize horses to that kind of noise and after a spook like that I'm sure it will be much harder.

Comments

harleyivy 7

This is why I don't like motorcyclist. I know not all are jerks but the ones where I live ride at 2 AM, being as loud as they can be.

So because you are stuck with a few assholes that happen to be part of a larger group, you dislike the entire group? That's as ridiculous as hating all cops because one gave you a parking ticket for no reason.

replace bikers with Muslims and you sound like the Donald :)

Don't judge a group based on the actions of some people. This is pretty much the same as saying that you do not like football supporters cause the are all hooligans

Maybe that is why so many people hit motorcycles.

I used to work at Horse Park of NJ. Most horse people are pretentious *****. You sound ok. Downvote me to hell.

As a horse person, I completely agree with you.

brocho 26

As a horse person also, I second this. There are nice ones too, though.

Why specifically motorcyclists? car drivers can spook horses too. I don't approve of what the biker did, but that doesn't stop me thinking you're a bit of a bell end.

Revving a motorcycle engine tends to be louder

I hate it when people honk their horns when I'm riding on trail. IF (major if) my horse spooks and I'm far away from his home and I'm injured ( whether it be a minor injury or a major one), and I have to WALK back because my horse just took off. I will not only be worried about if I can make it back safe, but I would be worried sick about my horse as well. What if he was injured on his way back and I have to put him down because of the reckless actions of others. I would be devastated. Think of your actions around horses, they are PREY animals.

Maybe instead of telling people to conform to your needs or the needs of your horses, maybe just move the horses. I understand that re-fencing the may take time and might even cost a couple bucks (I done this before I know) but at least you would then be taking proper care of your animals and at the same time not being rude to passing motorist. Ever think, why should they have to change their lives because you choose to have horses? Rule of thumb is 2 acres for the first horse and another for each additional horse, if you have the proper land for horses moving shouldn't be an issue.

If you board your horse you have absolutely ZERO control over where the outdoor arena is located. It has nothing to do with acreage. Usually people ride their horses in an indoor or outdoor arena or on trails. Not in the paddock where they easily could roll a stifle if the ground is uneven/have divots (which it usually is). Motorists can and should have common courtesy. Believe it or not, there are assholes who go out of their way to try to spook the horses because they think it's funny. It's not.

GrapeJuice67 17

Spooked Horses are really dangerous to their riders and as other comments said, to other people around them. People who do this shit on purpose are awful; OP COULD'VE BEEN BLINDED by being tossed in a briar patch like that! Seriously, is it so hard to have a little bit of courtesy for another person and animal?

How on earth is "please slow down, these animals are dangerous when they spook" being "rude?" Are people so in love with their vehicles that they believe that the machine's feelings should be taken into account? They're not being asked to "change their lives," they're being asked to drive carefully for thirty seconds. (The horror! The poor, sensitive wittle souls shouldn't have to bear such a burden!) If you can't manage that, you're not fit to be in charge of a tricycle, let alone a motorbike. If a horse spooks, it could kill the motorcyclist as well as their rider. A large, terrified animal on the road? Good luck getting out of that one unscathed. A motorcyclist, of all types of driver, should know how dangerous it is to be hit when there's no crumple zone or even vehicle exterior to protect you.

"Conform to your needs"? She's just telling them not to be assholes. Seems like you need a refresher course in that too

You know, some people don't like being told what to do and they don't give a **** what you think either.

#55: Fair enough, but they don't get to whine when other people treat them in kind. If that horse had collided with the bike and he'd been injured, I guarantee he'd be the first one on his phone to his lawyer, screeching about his rights and how the horse and rider should be considerate of him on the road while threatening to sue. Many self-declared "rebels" and (straw) "nihilists" suddenly decide that's there's something to this "good manners" thing when THEY'RE the ones being inconvenienced. Provided he didn't get killed outright, of course, because "screw everyone!" is an attitude that can get you killed on the road ("I don't care if I'm in that truck's blind spot - he's going too slow for me, so I'm going to sit on his bumper for the whole trip!") If you live as a lobster, be prepared to die like one.

#34 If you board horses, it was up to you to select said location thus having 100% control. If you have to ride on the road then its likely you live or board in a location that shouldn't have horses. I was raised that when you own an animal you place that animal in its natural environment as much as possible and if you can't do this then you shouldn't own that animal. My trails are cut along my treeline and through the woods so not to encounter roads with traffic. I have taken my tractor and rolls these trails several times a year because of ground hogs digging. Last thing I want is a horse with a broken leg. Most of the roads I cut across are deep into the woods with little or no traffic. Every owner I know avoids used roads by also cutting their own trails or selecting a road that has no traffic. If you have land or live in a area with fields you shouldn't have issues with the roads. I have been thrown from a horse once, cross a timber rattlesnake and she backed up and bucked with me being tossed against a tree. I had a stick penetrate a couple inches between my false ribs 8 and 9 (liver side but no organ damage), I removed the stick and field treated as best as possible. I know what its like to be tossed and I do feel bad for that but it could of been prevented.

That happened to me with a semi truck. He saw that my horse was starting to spook as he was at the stop sign but the asshat just kept on truckin' thus bringing my horse to shy violently to the right whereas I went left and ended up with road rash, a fractured hip, and a concussion. My horse was nice enough to meet me about 500 yards away, back at her stall in the barn where I then vomited in the aisle and almost lost consciousness.

As someone who has been riding for practically my entire life, motorists don't owe you anything. It is your choice to be riding a horse near a road and, therefore, your responsibility to be able to handle the situation. If you're not 100% capable of handling your horse, stay in the fence.

Aaand you're the reason people hate the average motorcyclist. It's not about owing people something, it's about being considerate.

I meant as someone who has been riding horses my entire life. Never driven a motorcycle in my life. Just realize the world doesn't revolve around me.

thats exactly What i was thinking thank you

There is a southpark episode covering this

I agree your life sucks but you should also train your horse to not freak out over that kind of retarded stuff. My horses are perfect around the roads. Just takes a little training!

Horses are animals, not machines. Even the most bombproof one is not guaranteed no-spook. And hell, if that noise suddenly exploded from someone deliberately being an up-close-and-personal asshole, I'm human and I'd probably jump too.