By Labelme - 02/01/2010 08:26 - United States

Today, I learned that instead of discarding expired products at my work, we change the label to make them 'expire' later. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 195
You deserved it 2 989

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ewww! That sounds like that's illegal to do...

I say report them to whatever trading standards board you have in the US. That's illegal and if someone gets ill eating their food, they'll be able to sue. Big time.

Comments

alicecooper91 0

I've read that Fresh & Easy changes expiration dates on stuff...

That's just plain stupid. If it is a sample it should be fresh, to encourage them to buy it. "yum, stale muffins"?

PLEASE don't tell me you work with food!!!

I work in the food industry and most these comments on here are making me laugh. Most big chains have much more strict rules on product than what you are taught in ServSafe, or deemed necessary by your State Board of Health. So for all these people screaming illegal and gross and "More Like **** your Customers Life" tell me this, if you go into a store and buy some hamburger or even lunch meats do you throw it all away at the end of the night? If you think that cow died that morning to make you lunch than you are naive. In some states the health code is still written on cheese that if it gets moldy you are only required to cut off the moldy parts and the rest is still safe to use. If this kind of stuff keeps you awake at night then it is time to quit eating fast food.

I work at one of the bussiest McDonalds in Australia on a major freeway... We do this every single day. One of the many reasons I am currentlly looking for a new job.

Ahh, the classic American quick-fix mentality. Sort of like the drivers who reach into their dashboard to nudge the gas dial to "full" when the tank is low.

Is it just me or is anyone else loving how this comment with the "Classic American Quick Fix Mentality" is right below the guy who works at the Australian McDonalds and says he does the same things :)

doof_fisch 2

I worked in the kitchen at a Perkins and whenever the regional manager was going to be coming, we scrambled around changing dates on the products. We were required to throw out perfectly good pies after two days. (Instead, I would sneak them out to my car and arrange to have them given to a mission need.)

ive worked in 5 restaurants, all of them sit down, casual dining. red robin, applebees (2 of these) ruby tuesdays, jose peppers and mi ranchito. ALL of them do this. not to a huge degree, because usually the food is already gone by the time the date is up, but if it is a lot of product, then the sticker just gets relabled. its happens. no one is getting sick from it, at least from the restaurants ive worked in. there is such a large safety factor built into the par dates for the food that usually you can let it still be in use up to twice the amount of time it says its good for. its not like milk.

Well if they like it when it's stale, they'll freakin' love them when they're fresh. XD