By Labelme - 02/01/2010 08:26 - United States

Today, I learned that instead of discarding expired products at my work, we change the label to make them 'expire' later. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 195
You deserved it 2 989

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ewww! That sounds like that's illegal to do...

I say report them to whatever trading standards board you have in the US. That's illegal and if someone gets ill eating their food, they'll be able to sue. Big time.

Comments

#34, I used to work for McDonald's and they're actually really good about throwing stuff out when it expires. Since the OP didn't say where they work, I wonder if it's a little mom and pop place that most or all of us wouldn't know of.

I work at mcdonalds. We always change the dates on the salads, sauces and cheese. It's terrible.

you should report your work and get a decent job

We don't even do that, as far as I know even that is illegal here... Depending on what kind of food it is we give it away to welfare a couple of days before it expires. Three days for delicatessen, somewhat longer for tinned food and the likes. As far as I know most companies here work like this. That's why a company should train their employees to make proper arrangements...it might be less expensive in the long run!

HelloDarlingg 0
CinnaMa 0

Happens all the time in fast food places... I use to do it all the time.!.

if you work with food, report them to BBB or OSHA

some expired food is good to eat. Supermarkets and the like are overly precautious as they are scared of being sued. just google freegans or freeganism.

perfectwinds 0

Umm... The OP never actually SAID that they worked in a restaurant. We seem to have a lot of assumers on here. Where DO you work, OP? Or what kind of company so that all of these people can stop freaking out?

#49, can YOU think of some place else this might make sense? I've tried to, but a restaurant is the only place I can think of that would LABEL products for expiration.

A supermarket/greengrocers/butchers etc etc perhaps? I don't see why a resturant would need so much to change the label on expiry dates since nobody is going to see them.

perfectwinds 0

Well, any cosmetics store as well. Grocery store. Everything has an expiration date. Cosmetics even expire, and you would probably get into LESS trouble changing the expiration date on those rather than a restaurant. Skin care products also expire. Medication, bottled products of any sort, vitamins, etc. So yes, I can think of plenty of other things that expire.