By Labelme - 02/01/2010 08:26 - United States

Today, I learned that instead of discarding expired products at my work, we change the label to make them 'expire' later. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 195
You deserved it 2 989

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ewww! That sounds like that's illegal to do...

I say report them to whatever trading standards board you have in the US. That's illegal and if someone gets ill eating their food, they'll be able to sue. Big time.

Comments

sorry, folks, hate to break it to you, but, within certain restrictions, its NOT illegal! WTF?!?! you say! Not illegal to relabel expired meat?! You've got to be kidding! 'Fraid so guys and gals - it's true! There was a 60 minutes story on it on tv a couple years ago, everyone was outraged and then, with typical U.S public zero attention span, forgot about it 5 minutes later. Go ahead and "report it to the authorities" if you really want to have "The authorities" laugh in your face!

martic835 2

I used to work at a Super Wal-Mart and they do this all the time. I was a cashier and I had to choke back my vomit whenever some elderly person came through my line with a pack of spoiled meat that stunk to high heavens. I always took note of the huge "REDUCED PRICE" sticker on the front of it. Some people live on fixed incomes so anytime they can save money they'll do it. Even at the risk of food poisioning.

Has your boss not heard of the FDA? Because that's very illegal.

what company is this, WARN THE WORLD!!!

smann0330 0

I work at BK. And part of my training was learning how to do this exact thing. On all the cooked food there is either a sticker with an expire time, or there is a light that tells you when the meat expires at, for the meat it's usually 45 minutes to an hour after it's cooked and for the vegatables it's between 4 and 8 hours. I was trained that the FIRST thing I do when I get to work and wash my hands is change the stickers to show either a new 4 hour or eight hour expiration time starting when my shift started. I was told ONLY to throw out food if it started to look bad enough that a customer might notice. I get into trouble of I throw out food before that, even if it's expired, because of BK policy. The policy is that employee raises and bonuses are based on our budget for product. If we have extra then we get a bonus...but if we throw away too much food...then the budget is over and no bonus. So we employees do whatver we can to se less product and earn oursleves extra money by using expired food...this happens at thousands of fast food places all over the country every day, serving millions of people. I don't see any mass fatalities from people eating expired food but I do understand that it's not Safe and not right...anywas, if ur not ok with it then when u order your food, ask for it fresh. We don't care in the kitchen, and you'll only have to wait a few extra minutes for food or fries that just came directly out of 360 degree oil. Gaurenteed germ free. Lol.

SaRah_In_LoVe 0

I think I know where that is! Is it by any chance a major fast food chain?

jcowsert2 5

sounds like taco bell to me haha

redhead07 0

where do you work at so that I can stay away from it??