By Anonymous - 30/10/2013 22:27 - United Kingdom - Romford

Today, I found out that, although I have the same job title and complete the same work as my male colleagues, I get paid 15% less, purely because I'm a girl. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 705
You deserved it 8 704

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think you should do 15 percent less work from now on

And you've talked to your boss about this?

Comments

maybe its because you negotiated your pay poorly and not because you are female.

Sometimes it's a physical thing, if it's a workplace where you do lifting or something and you're a scrawny girl, then yeah. Otherwise yeah, it's sexist

welcome to modern economy. we make less because we can GROW PEOPLE inside of us. so we get paid less because I'm costs the company more

What? They pay "us" less just because we can have children? I don't think that's exactly it.

timss4 19

Thank you, I didn't know how to say that without sounding like a douche lol

I think she's saying employers pay women less because, unlike men, they are often entitled to maternity leave, which costs the company more money. That's what I think the opinion that she is trying to convey is anyway.

While that's true, that doesn't mean women should be paid less for their potential to have children. So of she's infertile does that mean she should be paid more? Its just ridiculous and unfair. Women are still humans and just as capable of working hard regardless of the ability to give birth.

throughout history its been true, women entered the workforce much later than men and americas still getting used to it. and when a company does the math women take more time off to care for their family (sick days, personal days and maternity leave) than men. there have been many studys done on it and nationally women make less then their equal male counterpart. possibly not the case in this situation but its not unlikely

but OP is from the UK so maybe I'm totally wrong

In the UK, to pay someone less purely based on gender is illegal. If its not because the other staff have been there longer and incurred pay rises or something similar, and it definitely IS because of gender I'd advise speaking to the union if there is one or having sneering with the boss with a copy of employment law at hand.

Oh my goodness, I mean A MEETING with the boss. Teaches me to get distracted and not proofread.

upallnight11 19

Well, woman in general get paid less than man.

Yes, and it's a big problem. Not something to just say "oh well that's just how it goes" at.

upallnight11 19

Yeah and i didn't mean or say it wasn't a big deal because it is. I was just pointing out that this isn't something new.

wow talk about double standards maybe you should look for a job where they will treat you equal.

Are you SURE it's because you're female? That's quite an accusation you're making toward your employer. There really could be any number of reasons you earn less than your coworkers that have nothing to do with deliberate discrimination. It could even be something as simple as a mere oversight. Don't just assume if that's what you're doing. Definitely talk to your boss about it, though, in a respectful non-accusatory way. You're much more likely to get the wage you deserve that way.

Unlike yours, my profile is not hidden. Read.

All employers are aware of it in the US, too, and it's STILL a problem. Companies can blatantly do illegal things becaues they blatantly LIE about why they are doing it. It's really that simple.

And you're right grace, I should have read your profile. My apologies, almighty one. I'm guessing you're the office bitch because of your nasty attitude.

yes but they could well be doing it and instead blaming your skill sets or other qualities that you lack. no boss will ever admit that they pay someone less because they dislike them will they? they can always find reasons to have their way

199, I don't see how pointing out that my gender is openly displayed in my profile is bitchy, or how my gender is even relevant to this discussion, but whatever. Enjoy the rest of your day and happy Halloween. I hope your butt feels better.

Oh, haha, you made a butt joke. Hilarious. Also, it's not what you said, it's how you said it. If you don't understand the basics of adjusting your tone accordingly online, then be prepared for a lot of "butt hurt" people to respond to your posts negativily. Happy halloween. Be safe and don't drink and drive.

You must be new here. *Looks at profile* 130 comments. Yep. Pretty new. I suggest you thicken your skin or not use this site. I was actually pretty kind to you, particularly when compared to what many others would say (and have said) to someone who asks a question as stupid and irrelevant as yours. Prepare for a lot of replies that simply say, "Google." In short, I'm not mean. You're just hyper sensitive.

her boss is the one handing out the checks it's more of a problem for HR.

#26 I agree with you they would find some way to justify why they pay the other's 15% more and they could keep her tied up in the lawsuit for a long time and the amount that she would have to pay her lawyer IF they won probably wouldn't be worth it.

It is illegal to pay less because you are a woman. I would have a word with either the boss or HR. If however it is because they have been there longer, their work is to a higher standard, they do more work, or they are more efficient (which really couples with the more work) then they are entitled to a higher pay. A lot of jobs offer a smaller pay packet for the first few months/years and then increase it over time after that, I have a friend who is currently earning £25k, after 2 years at this job he will be up to £35k even though in the mean time he is doing the same job as everyone else.