By Anonymous - 30/10/2013 22:27 - United Kingdom - Romford

Today, I found out that, although I have the same job title and complete the same work as my male colleagues, I get paid 15% less, purely because I'm a girl. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 705
You deserved it 8 704

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think you should do 15 percent less work from now on

And you've talked to your boss about this?

Comments

Something like this happened to my best friend when she got a job with a company. She and her friendly classmate (male) went and applied to the same company who were hiring for the same job. Both got it and passed the tests they were given. They shared their answers with eachother when they finished the interview and he almost failed as she got almost perfect. But it didn't matter, they both passed the important stuff and were hired. When they started working, he mentioned his salary he was offered, thinking she started with the same amount but she was receiving almost 5,000 less than him. They are both in the same class studying for the same thing, she actually has a year more than him in the major for the computer sciences, yet he was offered more. She took it directly to HR and demanded to make the same as him. She of course got it, but it did take a week for them to agree after she built their case. This was in Ontario. Not only that, it was a job with a towns municipal government. It really depends on OP's situation, but if they were hired at the same time, and/or have the same experience, I know how much this kind of stuff sucks, as it DOES happen. We do need more info though.

I'm sure experience, education and productivity have no factor in that right?

higgster225 5

Unless you have compared paycheck and know you male coworkers entire work history don't assume that he's making a 15% premium just based on gender... I'm sure if the male you works with maked an extra premium in his salary it's based on addition certification credentials ex. RN vs. BSN...

The only reason she gets paid less is because she is a woman. There is a wage gap of about 20 percent between what men make and what women make.

All these morons saying get a lawyer and sue. That would never happen as the employer will give reasons as to why they make less. Like performance, attendance and what not. This advice is coming from girls right out of college with no clue as to what goes on in the real world.

Negotiate for a higher salary.be prepared with facts not office hearsay. Most companies bam sharing of personal salary information with other employees...so how did you find out

Are you sure there isn't some other factor? Have your male coworkers been working at your company longer, or have higher education or certifications that you don't possess? Is your salary affected by performance evaluations? Gender might not be the only thing that is different between you and your male coworkers.

hockeygoalie13 15

I love how everyone is jumping to the conclusion that she should sue. Is this really what we've come to? Stop giving people reason to believe that all we do in the US is sue over controversy. It's embarrassing.

bunny409 14

kids calling venezuelans mexicans.... bosses paying women less.... I hate ignorant people. If all the jerks could just be sent to space with no oxygen, that woul be great

@117 The pay gap is a manufactured grievance. Pay discrimination has been illegal in several countries for decades. The "pay gap" takes into account the average pay of all males, and compares it to the average pay of all females, without considering the type of work, hours worked, education, willingness to travel, or willingness to assume additional responsibility. A man and woman doing the same job, with the same seniority, education, work quality, and credentials, legally must get paid the same.