By hc11bmd - 19/06/2012 17:20 - United States - Bethel

Today, I asked a coworker what she'd bought her dad for father's day. She said that she got him some flowers, and I laughed because I thought it was a rather feminine gift for a man. I later found out that the flowers were for his grave. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 473
You deserved it 55 146

Same thing different taste

Top comments

GuyWithThePants 7

Maybe that'll teach you to be so judgmental

B3Y0ND 3

You couldn't have possibly known about her dead father, but you still should have been more sensitive about her gift choice. No need to be rude about it.

Comments

My dad died last year and Father's Day is a hard holiday to get through.

couturedoll 7

Aw, I'm so sorry. I know you feel. My dad committed suicide when I was twelve, so now every three weeks I always bring flowers to his grave. But yes, Father's Day is more painful than usual to get through.

xMexicanXJesusx 0

This is kinda related. My friends mom died about 2 years ago and this year her birthday and mothers day were on the same day.

12, 20 - I'm sorry for your losses. I wish I could say I understand your pain, but I even cried a little putting my dog down last week, so I don't think I could even remotely relate so well, nor cope. :( *Hugs*

kikis_momma 5

This was my first Father's Day without my Dad and my boyfriends first Father's Day. :( I feel all of your pain

Father's Day is hard because everyone bugs me about what I bought my dad, and they just push until I have to tell them he ditched before I was born, then they're all like "OMG, I'm so sørry!" and basically a huge pity-party. Dx

TheVelocirabbit 10

... My dog got ran over... Okay, seriously. You guys have the saddest stories compared to mine. I shall now give you all Internet-hugs and high fives.

It was my 4th fathers day without dad here. It sure doesn't get easier. Some days are easy and then some days are like he just passed.

my dad died before i was even born .. imagine it for me . never knew whats it like to have a dad

Seventh year from my dad's passing and fathers day is always so close to my birthday. This year it's the same day. It's always a sobfest for me every year after he died. I don't even know why I'm not over it yet.

I've never had my father in my life, and had an emotionally abusive step father so fathers days have always felt hollow. My mum also passed away when I was 18 so last mothers day was my second without her, and the one before she died she was interstate having a blood transfusion. It's just such a horrible feeling everyone going in to just about every shop and having all the hype, people constantly asking what your plans are. Unwanted reminders much...

I don't understand.. But if it helps.. *takes off pants*

Think the people calling you judgemental and saying YDI are harsh. I would have had a similar reaction. If you weren't told, how could you have known? You don't just assume someone's dad is dead cause they got them flowers, but its not a usual present for your dad. Sucks for you OP. FYL

14- Uh, I didn't vote YDI because Op commented without knowing the friend's father was dead. I voted YDI for being rude to someone about a gift choice she obviously felt was an appropriate display of affection for one of her parents, living or not. The fact her friend's father was dead, just makes it sad. :p

Well you don't just assume their dad is alive, either. Besides, it's their choice to get their dad the flowers..

Maybe the father likes flowers. Who are you to say what's what's. Fathers day is a day a giving a father what he likes and respecting them. You have no right to judge a gift for someone. Alive or not. They deserve it and I hope they feel like shit.

But flowers /are/ a feminine gift! I'm not saying there's anything wrong with guys liking flowers or being given them as a gift. But it's not a usual fathers day present, so OPs reaction wasn't unjustified.

195, flowers are a gift. They aren't feminine; they aren't masculine. They are a gift.

Flowers are a universal gift they can be used for anything. They are given when some one dies as condolences or for graduating. People send flowers when a baby is born or birthday. Even if she got him a tampon for fathers day it's rude and disrespectful to laugh at some ones gift for someone else.

Yes because it's a perfect world where everyone has a loving relationship with both of their parents and nobody ever dies.

egc573 40

Jeez, OP. I gave my (living) father flowers for Father's Day. What of it? They brighten things up and they smell nice. They're a perfectly all right gift for either gender.

GVirdi 11

When my dad was alive I remember giving him a rock in first grade and wrapping that to give it to him for fathers day But! In class we painted the rock :3

It's not like you knew. FYL, OP. I hope you apologized.

There was no way for yu to now her father was dead, however it was a bit unsensitive to laugh. Even if he was alive, it's the thought that counts and she can buy whatever she wants for her father.

I say you get her flowers to apologize. Dick.

Or even put some flowers on her father's grave, if OP personally doesn't find this creepy. Some people do.

60- to do that, it would be even more creepy to ask where his grave is, after insulting her like that.

tildoorf84 7

you did nothing wrong, they left out key information, giving vague answers leaves to much to assume. fyl

Did you ever think maybe she gave a vague answer because she didn't want to talk about it?

Vague answer or not, the OP is a rude person. It's called being considerate, if that were me, I'd just say " Hey that's nice you got your dad flowers". Because hey it's what you do.

AliceLockehart 18

If you assume, you make an ass out of you & me.

elletex 8

30, it's not a matter of OP not knowing about the co-worker's father. That happens. It's the fact that OP mocked their gift of choice. It was insensitive either way. Didn't do anything wrong? OP was a dick.

Her dad could've been gay and wanted flowers for fathers day. Dick. :p

I know some masculine gay men. They're more masculine than some of the straight guys I know.

BunchieRules 31

Why can't a straight man like flowers? Also, gay dad? I didn't think parents could be homosexual, considering they have to be straight to have children.

My good friend's dad was closet gay for 20 years. He married her mom, had three kids, then came out of the closet. They're staying together until all the kids go to college. Their story is actually very popular.

56 - Why can't parents be homosexual? I've known a couple of people to come 'out' after marriage and kids.

jaredofmo 22

Right on, 82. There's been people who came to terms with their sexuality after marriage, and despite divorce, have still managed to be active in their kids' lives.

31- I'm straight and I like flowers. My brother's gay, and he doesn't like flowers. Seriously. Not all stereotypes (if any) apply, friend.

elletex 8

Your ignorance baffles me, 56.

BunchieRules 31

Ah. I guess I never really thought about it that way. I personally have nothing wrong with homosexuals, but I was just wondering why people consider flowers to be feminine. In the case of adoption, I was mainly thinking of biological parents when I made my first comment.