The strangeness of strangers

By zomg - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States - Port Saint Lucie

Today, while at work as a cashier, I tried to be sweet and ID an elderly man buying a bottle of wine. He responded by calling me a "blind-ass bitch" and calling my manager for "harassing" him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 899
You deserved it 29 716

Top comments

bbedlock_fml 7

Some people just need to learn to take compliments once in a while...

user324234324 1

I think you'd get a better result if you did that to an old lady

Comments

Maybe he thought u were making fun of him, because obviously he doesn't look 18.

No good deed goes unpunished. I've been bitten in the ass by trying to do good so many times that I have long since given up. It is not my responsibility to brighten someone else's day by doing them a kindness they probably don't deserve and wouldn't appreciate anyway.

It really saddens me a lot when I hear of someone giving up on being nice. You really shouldn't give up. The world needs more people like you, selfless. As much as it sucks not get the outcome you wish for, you do make at least one more happy person. You could even encourage another person to do selfless things. I'll do what's been long overdue; thank you for making others happy :)

You missed the point, No. 71. I didn't say I'm an asshole to people or that I'm 'not nice;' I just won't go out of my way to do a random act of kindness for someone else, especially a stranger. All that will happen is they will not appreciate it or try to take advantage of me or get pissed off at me, so the net result of my good deed is a footprint on my ass from the kick I got. I eat enough shit at work without adding to it by trying to be Mary Sunshine for some random person and getting an added, extra special mouthful of self-inflicted shit.

Just do your job, none of this 'being cute' shit aight?

wlddog 14

If we followed 29's line of thought, the world would quickly turn to a rude and cold place indeed. One of the best things you can do during the course of your day is make someone smile.

Tried to be sweet? Sounds like you were being a smartass to me. YDI. Most places will id if the customer looks under 35, and that is usually posted. He must have obviously looked much older and so.. I rest my case.

klovemachine 24

21 is wrong. FYL I rest my case. keep being nice OP!

If the store policy is card everyone, then you have to card everyone. Don't take it personally, just sounds like a grumpy old man who needs attention so he complains about everything to everyone.

I wouldn't consider that sweet...that'd be annoying as hell. You're only required to I.D. people who look younger than like 30.

Elderly men usually take offense to those sort of things because A they are grumpy B they feel like they are being babied C they feel like you are being rude D all above

VasilisaUzhasnaj 29

Why does everyone make the mistake of assuming old people are sweet and feeble? They're some of the meanest mofos around. Wouldn't you be if you lived long enough to be bullshat by snotty young people who think being hunched over and ******** your pants is cute? Next time, only card customers who look under the age of 35, like you're supposed to.