The strangeness of strangers

By zomg - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States - Port Saint Lucie

Today, while at work as a cashier, I tried to be sweet and ID an elderly man buying a bottle of wine. He responded by calling me a "blind-ass bitch" and calling my manager for "harassing" him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 899
You deserved it 29 716

Top comments

bbedlock_fml 7

Some people just need to learn to take compliments once in a while...

user324234324 1

I think you'd get a better result if you did that to an old lady

Comments

Alot of people are saying here that alot of places make you id no matter what which is fair enough, but what everyones missed here though is that the op didn't say she had to do it she said she did it trying to be sweet. fair enough she was trying to be nice but this old guy obviously just wanted to get out of the store with no hassles but then he gets asked for id when its obvious what his age is. he probs just thought the op was being a smartass and he lost it a bit. he probs didn't need to call her a blind ass bitch though.

It's never a compliment to force a person to get their identification cards out. Even if OP meant to say it as simply a joke, which I doubt OP considered doing since she never mentioned "joking," even though it would have worked in her favor, a lot of people would take that joke seriously. I've been carded and then had to wait for my birth year to be looked up while buying white-out at eighteen. It's usually serious, strict, and sometimes quite hassling business. As we've said, many, if not most, businesses require everyone to be carded for purchasing alcohol. If this was one of the few "those who appear to be under [usually 35 or 40]" businesses, I would be upset too. That being said, he overreacted, and I'm sure it was a terrible day at work for her, even though her intentions seem to be good. I'm sorry for that.

That's the kind of thing you do to a woman....NOT A MAN. ydi >.>

1crabbygirl 10

Think about "transparent" and "patronizing". Not everyone appreciates smoke blown up their tuchus.

That's what sucks as a cashier. Don't do anything special and just get your work done? Terrible customer service. Try to be nice? Someone's bound to blow it up in your face. But hey f**k it I'm sure you put a smile on enough other people's faces to make their day so just keep at it!

FajitaFreak 3

What's wrong with you people? All she wanted to do was make a small joke to try and brighten up the day of an old man, and instead he freaks out because he's insane. I'm a guy, I'm only 21, but if I was older of course I would take that as a compliment. Why wouldn't you? You're acting like she asked him to hand over his kidneys or something.

I had a 74 yr old man bitch me out for carding him for alcohol &HE KNOWS IT'S COMPANY POLICY WHERE I WORK, NO EXEMPTIONS & he's been a customer for 3 yrs....he never complains when anyone else cards him....he's just a jerk. Elderly people DON'T find it "sweet" to be carded EVEN when they know it's YOUR job.

vengeance000 1

Why are some of these comments getting voted down? How dumb are you people

A moment u wished u kept shoosh.. Lol.. Oh well, tough luck.. Dumb ass customer.. Unresponsive and uptight he was!!

That's one thing that really annoys me about the states, when you know for a certainty that someone is over 21 yet you still ask for ID.