The Dictator

By anonymous - 18/01/2012 05:06 - United States

Today, I discovered that my new landlords must meet and approve guests of mine before they come over, and guests are not allowed when they aren't home or past 11pm. I'm 25 years old and just moved out of my parents' home to get away from my controlling mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 145
You deserved it 4 113

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Are you renting an entire apartment, or are you renting a room in someone's house? If you're renting an apartment, then the space is functionally yours and your landlord has no business who comes and goes provided your guests don't disturb the other tenants in the building, and that you're not having extra people living there in violation of your lease. If you're renting a room in someone else's house, where you and your landlord have access to common living space in the same house, then yes, your landlord can make rules and the rules can be pretty arbitrary.

Did you sign something with this on it? If you did, deal with it, if you didn't and this was not discussed before you moved in, surely this would be grounds to break your lease?

Comments

if u didnt sign anything that gave them permission for that type of shit they are liable for some serious lawsuits. im 18 and my new landlord came over and told me not to have parties, i told him to look up landlord-tenant laws.

Well I guess since your actions are stupid and childish people need to control you... How do u move in anywhere without knowing the rules and owner!

taurusxdee 10
bamagrl410 31

105 - Touché. I guess it's just hard for me to understand why OP didn't see it coming at all. I have a feeling either they would have noticed something about the landlord's personality, the landlord would have said something, or it was in the contract. Something had to have signaled that there would be an issue. But maybe not I guess.

bamagrl410 31

100 - I'm assuming you got thumbed down by a barner (For anyone who doesnt know, it's a less-welcome term for an Auburn fan). But very funny.

Unless this restriction was in the contract then you are free to invite whomever you want.

conniejoy529 10

Totally agree with 103. I'm 26, I still live with my mother, but I work a full time job with good pay (even if it is not the job I really want) , have a college degree, and pay a portion of the bills. I am smart enough to know that I need to save a much money as I can so that I don't fail once I do move to my own place. How many people rush to leave home as soon as they leave high school or college, and how many of them end up crawling back home broke a while later? I also don't get people that move to the big city and end up homeless or living in their cars. I hate when celebrities give that story, oh I lived in my car for months before my big break. That's not a story of overcoming poverty or adversity, that's a story of stupidity. Why would anyone leave a free place to live (voluntarily), with no money and no back up plan? Did they not realize that rent is expensive? So are utilities, and groceries, and gas and just about everything else you can think of. If your family is nice enough to let you stay with them, be grateful.

RUN!!!! if u have a lease and u have just signed it see u could have so many days to back out and leave the property without being charged