The Dictator

By anonymous - 18/01/2012 05:06 - United States

Today, I discovered that my new landlords must meet and approve guests of mine before they come over, and guests are not allowed when they aren't home or past 11pm. I'm 25 years old and just moved out of my parents' home to get away from my controlling mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 145
You deserved it 4 113

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Are you renting an entire apartment, or are you renting a room in someone's house? If you're renting an apartment, then the space is functionally yours and your landlord has no business who comes and goes provided your guests don't disturb the other tenants in the building, and that you're not having extra people living there in violation of your lease. If you're renting a room in someone else's house, where you and your landlord have access to common living space in the same house, then yes, your landlord can make rules and the rules can be pretty arbitrary.

Did you sign something with this on it? If you did, deal with it, if you didn't and this was not discussed before you moved in, surely this would be grounds to break your lease?

Comments

zachattack112492 4

Are you renting an entire apartment, or are you renting a room in someone's house? If you're renting an apartment, then the space is functionally yours and your landlord has no business who comes and goes provided your guests don't disturb the other tenants in the building, and that you're not having extra people living there in violation of your lease. If you're renting a room in someone else's house, where you and your landlord have access to common living space in the same house, then yes, your landlord can make rules and the rules can be pretty arbitrary.

Well, can't the landlord put whatever he/she wants in the lease?

I agree with this; also, if the op signed a lease without reading it, this is entirely op's fault. If this wasn't in any signed paperwork, then there's no legal obligation to follow that rule.

No, a landlord can not put "whatever she/he wants" in a lease. I'm a landlord, and I have to follow lots and lots of laws.

Buttsexpirate 9

Wow talk about sucks , even parents aren't that bad well not all

Did you sign something with this on it? If you did, deal with it, if you didn't and this was not discussed before you moved in, surely this would be grounds to break your lease?

This is where you go back to your mothers house and have a nice convo about how you want to move back in. Then say "im old enough to make my decisions.." yannno cause everyone lives with their parents. They need to treat you like your 25. NOT 13

I don't live with my parents, and I'm 21.

45- I moved out at 18. Moving interstate in a week and my boyfriend moved 16,000km by himself. Your point?

If you're renting an apartment and you've read the contract, it would've stated all the demands the landlord requires of you. If this is in the contract, YDI. If it's not in the contract, take legal action.

OYou should have done more research.. I don't really feel bad for you. You had 7 years to make a decision and you still couldn't manage to do that.

KiddNYC1O 20

You moved to get away from your controlling mother- now you have to deal with a controlling landlord AND controlling economy. Damn.