The Dictator

By anonymous - 18/01/2012 05:06 - United States

Today, I discovered that my new landlords must meet and approve guests of mine before they come over, and guests are not allowed when they aren't home or past 11pm. I'm 25 years old and just moved out of my parents' home to get away from my controlling mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 145
You deserved it 4 113

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Are you renting an entire apartment, or are you renting a room in someone's house? If you're renting an apartment, then the space is functionally yours and your landlord has no business who comes and goes provided your guests don't disturb the other tenants in the building, and that you're not having extra people living there in violation of your lease. If you're renting a room in someone else's house, where you and your landlord have access to common living space in the same house, then yes, your landlord can make rules and the rules can be pretty arbitrary.

Did you sign something with this on it? If you did, deal with it, if you didn't and this was not discussed before you moved in, surely this would be grounds to break your lease?

Comments

If its not in the lease you sign politely tell them to GTFO and mind their own business. I would promptly begin looking for somewhere new to live as well.

If you signed something agreeing to those rules, YDI. If you didn't, then you don't have to follow those ridiculous rules.

conholio33 28

That sounds like a place for 13-year-olds. Wtf. Did you move somewhere else?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but given you've signed the lease, isn't it illegal for the landlords to withdraw information such as that from the lease contract? If so you could sue and also get out of your contract early to move to another place. If it was in the contact, and you didn't notice, then YDI.

AJ1981 12

I would move into a new place. I rented a room from someone they told me that they were hardly ever home and I could do anything I wanted within reason. once I moved in they were always there and complained about my every movement. get out ASAP..