The Dictator

By anonymous - 18/01/2012 05:06 - United States

Today, I discovered that my new landlords must meet and approve guests of mine before they come over, and guests are not allowed when they aren't home or past 11pm. I'm 25 years old and just moved out of my parents' home to get away from my controlling mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 145
You deserved it 4 113

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Are you renting an entire apartment, or are you renting a room in someone's house? If you're renting an apartment, then the space is functionally yours and your landlord has no business who comes and goes provided your guests don't disturb the other tenants in the building, and that you're not having extra people living there in violation of your lease. If you're renting a room in someone else's house, where you and your landlord have access to common living space in the same house, then yes, your landlord can make rules and the rules can be pretty arbitrary.

Did you sign something with this on it? If you did, deal with it, if you didn't and this was not discussed before you moved in, surely this would be grounds to break your lease?

Comments

ya but to ask "who am I allowed to have over MY apartment?" I NEVER asked that to any of my landlords and it was never an issue. If I did, I assume the answer would be "anyone, you're a big boy now and you live your own..." I've never heard of an apartment complex that restricts visitons, unless that specific person has been banned from the property. Also, it's non of the landlord's buisness who their tenants have over, much less do they have to size them up and "approve" them. I'm just saying, it makes perfect sense that it wouldn't occur to OP (or anyone) to ask that kind of question.

Well that depends what you rented OP. Are you just renting a room in their house? If that is the case I agree with them! I wouldn't want my stuff to go missing or abused when I'm not home or be disturbed after 1100 pm! In fact my son hates living with us, because he is 20 and thinks its his right to do what ever he wants! He doesn't pay rent!

NTalbott 4

I think it just depends on the situation. For example, my grandfather recently passed and his house is on the same property as ours, so if/when we decide to rent it out, we're also going to have some very strict rules to protect the rest of the family living on the property. We don't want the new tenant having over a bunch of druggie friends or having a ton of people up and down our driveway all the time. I have an 11 year old sister who needs her sleep for school and she wouldn't get it if someone had friends coming in and out of the house next door all night long. So it really depends on the situation.

This is true that it depends on the situation. When i hear "landlord" I assume OP is renting an apartment in a complex. Although, where I live now, it's like a big house with 3 floors, and each floor is its own apartment. They are not connected to eachother aside from the center staircase. So it could be a situation like that. Our landlord doesn't live in the same building, but if OP's landlords do then i guess i could see why they would have a problem with guests. Still, as I see it, if the apartments are not connected to each other or share a communal living area, then the landlords should have no buisness telling OP who s/he can and cannot have over. THEY chose to operate this buisness and unless OP's guests are obnoxiously loud, disturbing the other tenants, or commiting crimes (like using the apartment as a drug den or something), then they need to shove off or pick a new industry. Just my opinion.

jab7769 8

Op it is simple you are renting the property the second you sign the lease and pay you are protected with certain laws that state the apartment will be given privacy acts and regulations that would be granted in accordance with housing laws. Also people can not govern the way you live as long as you don't damage property and have all bills paid you can do whatever you want. And the second the tenant violets your rights the lease is broken and get lost.

good luck with getting laid with those rules.

Like number 4 said, it depends on what you're renting, but if you're renting an apartment area then lawyer up because that isn't legal.