Thanks, I hate it

By Anonymous - 05/08/2009 02:34 - United States

Today, I received a $250 ticket when I parked my car, that has the disabled placard, in a handicapped spot at a Wal-Mart. The officer said she watched me get out of the car and walk to store without appearing to be disabled. I'm 59 years old, have a steel rod in my spine and a prosthetic hip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 65 294
You deserved it 3 345

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who is it for her to decide if you're disabled or not? Wow. I hate people like that. Of course not all handicaps are always going to be noticeable.

Conkers 0

I'm pretty sure you can definately appeal against that. People with mental disabilities can get the cards and you cannot physically look at them to see if they're disabled.

Comments

you are the coolest 59 year old ever! using fml, that's awesome! fyl! fo sho

sportygal85 0

that happened to a lady once near where i worked, i told her to go to the police station. she went, and explained, and came back to thank after telling her where it was. i would go to the police station that gave it to you first. if not, then fight it in court. bring xrays, documentation from the DMV and whatever else. that's so stupid. you'll win.

that_guy321 2

you can easily get this overturned they technically aren't even allowed to give a ticket, even if you don't seem disabled, as long as you have a sticker/placard the most they can possibly do is talk to you and if you don't have a reason (i.e. it's a family member's or something) they can only ask you to move your car, but even then you don't have to since you've got the sticker this has happened to my dad, cause he's got a steel rod in his leg but only has a minor limp so don't sweat it, you won't have to pay :]

that sucks, and cops are dicks (part of the job). however, if i were you i'd carry a cane around from now on even if i didn't need it.

Explains you live in Florida! No but really, FYL.

I am lucky I don't have the steel rodnin my back, and if I had the opportunity to park there legally I would. I would appeal the ticket.

I'm pleasantly suprised at the number of encouraging comments. I hope everyone treats the disabled this well in person. To those made negative comments: HELLO ASSWIPES! If you're enough of a dick to judge someone's health based on their exterior, at least do it when the person is coming OUT of the store. Y'know, AFTER they've been walking around. Look closely at the face and body language; pain isn't too hard to spot if you try. There is indeed a severe prejudice against "invisible illnesses" in the USA, especially in the young. I've got one myself, but I don't use a placard (though I probably should-- I'm too proud, and not in a good way). You can't win; keep your appearances up, grit your teeth and try hard not to limp, and people assume you're faking. Or go out looking the way you feel, and people look down on you, think you're exaggerating, or assume you're looking for attention. And sadly, even some doctors aren't exempt. It's ridiculous.