Thanks, I hate it

By Anonymous - 05/08/2009 02:34 - United States

Today, I received a $250 ticket when I parked my car, that has the disabled placard, in a handicapped spot at a Wal-Mart. The officer said she watched me get out of the car and walk to store without appearing to be disabled. I'm 59 years old, have a steel rod in my spine and a prosthetic hip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 65 294
You deserved it 3 345

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who is it for her to decide if you're disabled or not? Wow. I hate people like that. Of course not all handicaps are always going to be noticeable.

Conkers 0

I'm pretty sure you can definately appeal against that. People with mental disabilities can get the cards and you cannot physically look at them to see if they're disabled.

Comments

ineedthispen 0

http://www.wftv.com/news/20282036/detail.html

Yes, because everyone with problems must be a liar. 9.9 If you wanted to write people off as lying, don't come to a FML site.

This happened to me a few mos ago. I fought it off and won since every placard assigned to a vehicle and person has the dmv's papers associated with it that has the person's problems as to why they need it and the doctor that said it was needed. What I hated is that when this happened to me, my neighbor wrote me the ticket >

sbarre1 0

Do 59 year olds really read FML? Doubt it.

dg72592_fml 0

wow take that shit to court that's pretty messed up... its not the cops job to make judgments on whether you're "handicapped enough" to be parking in that space, if you were issued a sign clearly that judgement was already made and it's none of their business...

based on that pig's logic then, if you can walk you're not handicapped... So if you say, lost your arms in Nam, but your legs are fine, you're not handicapped. That lady is an idiot man, I hope you fight it and the judge makes her look like an asshole.

megamango 0

you must be a cool 59 y.o. for writing FMLs

rustyrox 0

if you have the pass it will be dismissed. I would encourage you to place a complaint.

It's pretty hilarious how wrong a lot of these comments are. No, it is not illegal for a cop to ticket you if you have a handicap placard on your car. If you have a placard and it is not shown clearly on your rear view mirror (assuming you dont have a handicap plate) we will ticket you. If you do have it clearly shown and it turns out you're just someone borrowing your handicapped friends/family members car you will get a very nice ticket and fine waiting for you when you return to your car because THAT is very illegal. The cop here was well within her rights to ticket the OP, although she should have questioned her first, assuming there was contact between the OP and officer, even though I'm sure if she just shows up to court with the paperwork to show she is, in fact, handicapped, the ticket will be thrown out.

not exactly a fyl... easily disputable. wouldn't even take much tiime.

Dude that is not an FML at all. Dont get me wrong, Im not dissing you, just saying that even with the rods and prosthetics you dont appear disabled.