Sneaky

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - Canada - Owen Sound

Today, I caught my dad sneaking a drink of whiskey outside, shortly before my wedding. I asked if he was seriously getting drunk at a time like this. He looked at me and scoffed, "It's the only way I'm gonna get through this stupid shit." FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 995
You deserved it 5 048

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's rude. A dad should be more mindful and respectful, ESPECIALLY at a time like this.

Do the same thing if your invited to his anniversary

Comments

Why did he have to sneak it? I've never been to a wedding that didn't serve booze

For one thing to not have alcohol means a cheaper wedding

Receptions serve booze. The ceremony doesn't usually! And the ceremony is probably the bit the father was referring too.

I seriously can't blame him. Weddings can be awful, suddenly everybody's gotta be nice to everyone even though they might hate each other. It's probably just my bad experience, but I couldn't spend a day around my distant relatives smiling and being sober at the same time. Maybe it's a similar thing in OPs family, I doubt her dad drank because of her. Or he might drink because of social anxiety, I know that's unhealthy but not something he should be blamed for.

You must be from rural Canada! What we call down here a "Hillbilly" or "Redneck"! Your father sounds "Bushed"!

You can't pick your mum and dad but atleast you can pick your future family.

I don't think he should be getting drunk at a time like this but first off, we don't know if he was hurting and using it for relief. Also some people don't like weddings and can't sit through them so maybe he's not a crazy drunk and can handle social situations in a slightly impaired state? But that's none of my business.

Would you have fathered him not come? He obviously doesn't approve but decided to be there for you, somewhat, anyway.

He didn't have to come if it was so horrible for him and if all he was planning to do was arrive and ruin her mood on her wedding day.

#32 he might not have planned it and it just happened. Anyway, You know as well as I do that if the father didn't come, then everyone would be saying how much of an ass he is for not attending and 'how dare he' not attend OP's special day.

At least someone was happy at the wedding!

Sheesh, let the man have a drink, Bridezilla. Congratulations on your marriage.

Agreed! "sneaking a drink of whiskey" doesn't equal getting drunk! Lots of people drink at weddings.

My (since that day, unfortunately) stepsister and -brother played a drinking game during church at our parents wedding. They would drink booze whenever the pastor said words like 'love' or my mom's or their dad's name. I don't like going to church either, but I think that was far worse than a bit of whiskey before the ceremony. So don't feel too bad, OP! (I just felt like sharing this because it somehow fit, sorry if I've wasted anyone's time)

This. Probably an even bigger FML... I'll never understand such disrespectful people! The ceremony may be long and quite boring, but it doesn't last forever, in fact, it often happens only once in a lifetime for the married couple, so why not tolerate it?