Shoulda checked, dude

By FdUp_at32 - 20/10/2020 08:02 - United States - Southfield

Today, a tattoo artist angrily threw me out of his store because an "88" tattoo is apparently a Nazi thing, representing “Heil Hitler.” I just wanted my birth year. FML
I agree, your life sucks 961
You deserved it 496

Same thing different taste

Top comments

🤦‍♂️ Why didn't you just ask for 1988 and also always do research into symbols the white supremacists have taken over a lot of the symbols that were innocent before like the OK sign and have twisted them into their own perverted symbols.

Be glad! He is totally right, and people would have believed you're a nazi, showing that tattoo. Just don't do it!

Comments

Be glad! He is totally right, and people would have believed you're a nazi, showing that tattoo. Just don't do it!

but the tattoo artist also got mad and that's an FML.

Sure it is. But I totally understand why the tattooist got angry.

🤦‍♂️ Why didn't you just ask for 1988 and also always do research into symbols the white supremacists have taken over a lot of the symbols that were innocent before like the OK sign and have twisted them into their own perverted symbols.

happened to me too 😅 I think you should still get it, people who judge your tattoo without asking and hearing the story behind it, aren't worth collecting anyway 😊

Are you serious? As if anyone is going to ask someone who they think might be a Nazi for the story behind their tattoo :P

are you? 88 has meant the number 88 way longer than anything else, it is also good luck and fortune in Chinese culture, but you jump to nazi? do you think nazi too when you see a lotus/buddha tattoo with the swatsticka? or do you use common sense and ask why? then you would get the answer that the symbol means happiness and is a sun sign, and has been way before the nazi's took it and twisted its meaning... so yeah I would rather ask, find out if they are a nazi and if the answer is yes, deside not to talk to them, than judge people badly because of my own prejudices... and my fredomfigther grandfather, who ended up in concentration camp, agrees with me...

Habacadavarus 12

There is something to be said about not allowing racists to redefine the world. 88 means eighty eight to me, any attempt to redefine it is as dumb as hating someone over color.

Just stop getting tattoos while you are ahead. at some point the nazis will claim whatever idea you have as one of their "signs" and you will be trying to prove you had it first... Though it is weird how they can remember all their signs but are to stupid to not be nazis...

why did you get so many downvotes? it's scary how scum groups can get ownership of the most mundane symbols.

Yes, Nazis are going to take over butterflies, flowers, cartoon characters, and every word in every language of the world.

Add an 'mph' after it, and start randomly yelling "Great Scott!" Or do the whole '1988' thing. Or don't bother with a tattoo at all. Unless you have trouble remembering the year of your birth, in which case I suggest getting your social security number and credit card info tattooed, as well. And an outline of your house/car keys, just to be safe.

Too bad you weren't born in 1969. It's a pretty stupid tattoo, anyways. Why not get your height tattooed on your neck? That'd be cool.

Warp1978 15

My advice would be to get a design and put it on with sharpie then reink it so that it doesn't fade too quickly. If you're not sick of it in six months get it otherwise you've dodged a bullet.

Aurora25 29

why get your own birth date/year as a tattoo? its so self absorbed like

"C'mon man! 88 is when I was born, I'm a big fan of lightning striking twice, and that last one is an ancient religious symbol! Why are you being such a jerk?"