Parenting 101

By butihelppaythebills - 10/10/2022 01:00

Today, I got a tattoo. My mom got upset and threw a bitch fit about how my body "is a temple and it belongs to God.” I told her, “My body, my choice.” She responded with, “Oh really? Well, my house, my choice who lives here. Pack your shit and get the fuck out.” I’m currently in my car with nowhere to go. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 749
You deserved it 1 320

Same thing different taste

Top comments

As much as I think this was a stupid ass hill for her to die on and throw you out over... come on. There's absolutely NO WAY you didn't know her stance on tattoos and yet you went and got one when you basically were at her mercy. That is poor decision making. A tattoo is not a need. It's a want. And when you're living under someone else's roof you balance that want against a need (a place to stay). If you're prepared to lose that need for that want, then rock on, but otherwise, dude just wait.

Go to the police. If you're a minor, this could be construed as child abandonment (though you're likely of age if you got a tattoo and help pay the bills). Either way, this is an illegal eviction. They will enforce that she let you back in or she could possibly be charged.

Comments

joseph_rod_05 14

maybe drive to LA and start a new life there

Go to the police. If you're a minor, this could be construed as child abandonment (though you're likely of age if you got a tattoo and help pay the bills). Either way, this is an illegal eviction. They will enforce that she let you back in or she could possibly be charged.

joseph_rod_05 14

there’s not much she can do if she ISN’T a minor tho

Vesi 29

If this is the US, then their mother has to give them a 30 day eviction notice. I found this out when I had to remove my son from my home for domestic abuse. If outside the US, then no idea what the laws are.

In a civilized country, you have take care of your children/parents even if they are adults.

As much as I think this was a stupid ass hill for her to die on and throw you out over... come on. There's absolutely NO WAY you didn't know her stance on tattoos and yet you went and got one when you basically were at her mercy. That is poor decision making. A tattoo is not a need. It's a want. And when you're living under someone else's roof you balance that want against a need (a place to stay). If you're prepared to lose that need for that want, then rock on, but otherwise, dude just wait.

Nah, that's victim blaming. OP's likely at age of majority, she can get a tattoo if she wants without fear of reprisal.

It's only victim blaming in the same way as you'd have a few words to say with someone who decided to walk into a biker bar and chat up the girlfriend of the biggest biker in front of him, who then complained about getting beaten up. Victim blaming is when you try to let the criminal off because of the actions of the victim. Yes the biker assaulted that guy, yes they should pay the full price for that crime, but let's not act like there was absolutely no way to have seen that your perfectly legal actions might have totally foreseeable consequences.

Yeah, no. I am not blaming the 'victim', I am blaming poor choices with expected outcomes. This is not 'well what was she wearing?' or 'why did you have an expensive TV you should have known it would be stolen!'. This is OP making a decision for an unnecessary action with likely expected reactions occurring. The mom isn't in the right for the expected reaction but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been avoided either.

OP is a victim of a narcissistic mother. Eventually, she would have found a reason to throw OP out once she didn't get her way, the tattoo happened to be it.

Probably, but if you can tell that from just a couple of lines in a FML then OP definitely should have known it was coming and avoided bringing the date forward until they could get out without ending up in their car.

Wooo remember to call you when I need some support.

I personally agree with you (I'm assuming you're a young adult who legally got the tattoo). It is your choice. Also, as a Christian myself, I believe what your mom did was excessive because she's probably not all that clean herself. Is there a friend that can let you stay over for a while? I hope you got enough for an apartment in the meantime or something cause you might be thin of options.

If you live with her and know her stance on tattoos, YDI because obviously she'd react like this. It also depends on your age.