Recycling

By Anonymous - 26/08/2023 04:00

Today, my boyfriend said he sees no need to buy new baby equipment such as a crib, a playpen, etc., for our first child, when we can just use the stuff his other kids used a couple years ago. He has no idea why I'm upset about this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 204
You deserved it 1 409

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Is the stuff still in good condition and currently not being used? For something a kid doesn't use for very long, outside of a carseat which should never be bought secondhand, doesn't it make sense to use the old stuff?

Call me insensitive, fine, but do you think that by using his other kid's old baby stuff, he must obviously be harbouring some old feelings? It can't be that he's being fiscally responsible and doesn't see the point in wasting perfectly fine furniture and other things, right? I understand that maybe you wanted to create memories of browsing websites and stores for baby stuff, I really do, but given that bringing up a child is incredibly expensive and time consuming, is it not wise to perhaps reuse. It would save money in the long run. If I'm wrong, then I apologize.

Comments

Is the stuff still in good condition and currently not being used? For something a kid doesn't use for very long, outside of a carseat which should never be bought secondhand, doesn't it make sense to use the old stuff?

Call me insensitive, fine, but do you think that by using his other kid's old baby stuff, he must obviously be harbouring some old feelings? It can't be that he's being fiscally responsible and doesn't see the point in wasting perfectly fine furniture and other things, right? I understand that maybe you wanted to create memories of browsing websites and stores for baby stuff, I really do, but given that bringing up a child is incredibly expensive and time consuming, is it not wise to perhaps reuse. It would save money in the long run. If I'm wrong, then I apologize.

I have no idea why either. you hate money? got 1,000$ bucks to burn?

lalalaila777 24

it might seem hurtful, but once you have another kid you'll understand. only things you need new are carseat and crib mattress and sheets clothes etc. babies are a large expense, and it's best to reuse what you can. enjoy the rest of your pregnancy with your partner and wish you well

I don't, either. Kids don't know whether they're getting hand-me-downs or new shit. Nor do they care. It seems like you're the only one who wants to piss away money for their own neuroses.

Listen, sunshine, people can't guess why you are upset about stuff. You have to explain it to them. It's called communication. Also, quite frankly, don't you like having a guy who is responsible with money and who can build a good financial future fir the two of you?

Look, I know that you probably want everything for this baby to be absolutely brand new and have everything be specifically for *your* baby. But that’s just not practical or financially responsible. All of that costs a *LOT* of money, the baby isn’t going to know the difference anyway, and chances are that it’ll probably get baby poop or puke on it anyway. What specifically bothers you about your husband’s idea, and why didn’t you talk to him about it (as far as we can tell)? Could you choose maybe one or two things that you absolutely don’t want used for your baby, like maybe just the clothes, and agree to reuse everything but that?

Go to online marketplace and see how it's full of first time mothers selling stuff their baby barely used, e.g. cribs, sling carriers, dresses for photoshoots etc. I hope this helps you see how buying everything brand new from store is really not worth it. Spend your time choosing the best investment plan for your kid and put the saved money there.

You entitled monster, god forbid you use something someone has used before!

Are you wealthy and have money to waste? Unless you are, use his stuff if it is still in good condition.