Priorities

By Anonymous - 11/05/2009 06:21 - United States

Today, I called my mom while she was out of town and confessed how I have been depressed lately and thinking suicidal thoughts. After my long sob story, she took a breath and said, "OK, just make sure you don't forget to take the dogs out." FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 804
You deserved it 5 690

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This whole argument is pointless. I doubt any of you know OP personally, in which case you don't know OP's feelings. It could be a cry for help as easily as a cry for attention. OP, if you really are depressed, please get help. Hang out with your friends, get exercise, play with tour dogs. All of these could help you feel better!

Well just because the FMLs are slightly similar doesn't make this one untrue.

Comments

glockjaw 0

#23, I Lol'd at your ignorance. If the mom is out of town, the daughter couldn't wait til she got back? A sign of being self-centered right there. Like #13 said, what was she supposed to do? Depression is a serious disorder, even you admit that. so you think that the mom telling the daughter something encouraging can help in the slightest bit a disorder as severe as Major depression? No, it wouldn't do shit. In any case the mom is probably one of the major causes of her depression in the first place! Sorry your "mommy is supposed to take care of the children forever and ever is a child's fantasy" Children literally decrease overall marital happiness and so obviously parents are not the best source of help, especially when said child is 15+. So it seems like I DO know about the topic at hand. You on the other hand don't seem to know anything about it making you the ignorant one 'genius_man'

Even if a slight encouraging remark wouldn't help, it would at least show that Mom cares.

FYL. i guess im not the only one with a mom who would say that...

AnonymousBlonde 0

I agree with # 13, 15, and 24. You waited until your mom was out of town to let loose about how depressed you are, expecting her to cut her trip short and come running home? Other than being attention seeking, do you realize how unreasonable that is? Your mom probably didn't know how to react, which is why she responded with something intended to keep you busy until she got back. If your situation is really that serious, ask a friend to stay with you until your mom comes home or contact someone at Hopeline/Suicide Hotline. Your mom probably figured that since you were talking about your feelings, rather that going out and acting irrationally, that you could hold on a few more days until she was back to address your problems. I've suffered with clinical depression and suicidal thoughts for years, and even I find you to be whiny. Instead of complaining here, get a therapist and complain to him/her.

@29 quit complaining. life sucks, gets worse, and then u die. learn to roll with it b/c u can have fun in the mean time. @ OP boo freakity hoo. you got to vent, now take out the dogs before they deposit fecal matter in the house. D*:

KEVINPASH 0

sob sob sob... i bet your life is so tough. You got that ish off your chest, whats your mother supposed to do over the phone anyways? Cry a river, build a bridge and get over it. I've dealt with depression before too and the only way you get over any of these issues is to take responsibility! Get off your sorry ass and go for a run, I promise you'll feel better. For the record, I love this website but honestly I'm so sick of sob stories.

Calling her while she was out of town was a bitch move. You could have easily had this conversation while she was there and made this all less awkward.

I like how people are pretending to know something about what's going on. All you guys are saying she's self-centered because she "waited until she was out of town" If you could tell me how you know that, that'd be great. Thanks.