Priorities

By Anonymous - 11/05/2009 06:21 - United States

Today, I called my mom while she was out of town and confessed how I have been depressed lately and thinking suicidal thoughts. After my long sob story, she took a breath and said, "OK, just make sure you don't forget to take the dogs out." FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 804
You deserved it 5 690

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This whole argument is pointless. I doubt any of you know OP personally, in which case you don't know OP's feelings. It could be a cry for help as easily as a cry for attention. OP, if you really are depressed, please get help. Hang out with your friends, get exercise, play with tour dogs. All of these could help you feel better!

Well just because the FMLs are slightly similar doesn't make this one untrue.

Comments

and for all those that say shes selfish for telling her mom when she was on vacation. it takes alot of courage to tell your parents these things. when i told my mom she thought i was joking till my sister told her i wasnt. maybe it was easier to tell when they werent face to face. sooo stfu and stop judging

I'll take the mom's side for a moment - a lot of times hearing that from your child can be very difficult, and they would rather just be in denial and assume the kid will "get over it". It sucks, I know, but parents are people too... unfortunately. But like the many people here who have expressed their support - definitely get help if you need it. Call those hotlines, confide in a few friends, get a therapist, etc. Depression is such a difficult thing to go through alone and it's not your fault or something to be ashamed of. You're not alone.

OMG my mom is just like that, only in mid sentence she will start talking to the dog.......

OMG! wtf! wats with these suicidal ppl posting on fml?! your seriously going to a site that hasnt nothing to do with suicide help, or suicide at all!? and expecting sympathy?! we dont care! if you feel the need to post ur story on this site you obviously ARE NOT serious about it at all! and just want to get a post on this site for posts sake, your mums responce was the best bit of the story, and i hope next time she sees you she hands you a double edged razor so you cant possibly fail.

apndi 9

You're kidding, right? I wish there was a way to thumb down your comment twice.

musu_fml 0

Possible explanations that make your mother seem better: 1: By acting like your problems are no big deal, perhaps you might pick up on that and also think they're no big deal, making it easier for you to cope with them. 2: By giving you something routine and simple to focus on (taking the dogs out), she is distracting you from the depressing thoughts, and possibly even allowing you to pay attention to the small pleasures in life (especially if it's nice weather when you take the dogs out). 3: Exercise, even just a walk, has a proven effect against depression in a lot of cases. Literally, the walk will do you good.

#80: People like you are what add the toll to the suicide rise. Suicide shouldn't be taken lightly; whether someone is lying or not, if someone "confesses" to thinking about committing suicide it should be taken seriously. People like you, saying shit like: "ZOMFG, PPLZ DAT WANT 2 KILL DEMSELVES R'S LAME" are just adding stress to the suicidal tendencies and /making/ the people follow through on their plans. OP: I'm really sorry about that, but I agree with #81. Walking releases endorphins that make people "happy" or "giddy." I'm sure your mom was trying to curb your thoughts of suicide. No parent (or at least a good one) wants to lose their child, and they most definitely don't want to lose a child to suicide -- it makes them think they did something wrong when it came to raising you.

iskryla 0

OP, I feel your pain (to a lesser extent) with respect to your mom's behaviour ... when I was diagnosed bipolar in August, my mom said and I quote, "oh, you're fine, everyone gets little mood swings" :/ ... why do some mothers do that??

#56, LOL. "Depression is all in your head"... Yeah... it is. Psychological disorder. In your mind. Your brain. In your head. Word choice fail.

there are about 6.8 billion people on the planet. If a few knock themselves off for emotional instability they A) shouldn't add to the gene pool and make future generations ever weaker, B) need to realize theyre a bunch of panzee asses for seeking the easy road, and C) I call it a win for nature, less humans the better.