Pipe down, Brenda

By Anonymous - 20/05/2016 19:38 - United States - San Antonio

Today, my soon-to-be mother-in-law decided that she is going to be in charge of planning my wedding. All decisions must be approved by her, and anything she doesn't like will be thrown out. She also wants to go on our honeymoon with us to make sure I don't "defile" her son. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 954
You deserved it 1 522

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tell her to go flippity flappity f**k herself and that she could do that in her marriage not yours

Comments

She sounds like a more overbearing version of my boyfriend's mom; her opinion is the right one and everyone should share it. She is entitled to her opinion, but she isn't the one getting married. You need to make it clear that she is NOT in charge and that she needs to keep her opinions to herself until she is asked. As for the honeymoon, keep the destination secret. Erase your computer history and after purchasing your tickets, give them to someone you trust explicitly and who your MIL doesn't know or has no reason to visit. That way, she can't find the tickets if she goes snooping. Also, if you keep a journal, hide that really well too if you're going to mention the location of your honeymoon. Good luck and congratulations on the wedding. Keep us FMLers posted ?

I'm sorry but if you don't stand up to her and your future husband doesn't support you you should cancel the wedding and end the relationship with that man with no balls to stand up to his mother. All I can Say is you deserve it because you didn't put a stop to it

Rain8899 5

I had the same problem with my first husband and his mother. If you don't stand up now be prepared to have her run the rest of your life. In all honesty I would encourage you to get some counseling just for yourself to make sure this is really what you want. When you marry the Mommas Boys you get more of the mother then what you bargained for. Good Luck.

I have the same mother-in-law. Shut her ass down now. It's gana be a long road. Good luck.

someonesometime 10

I hope your future husband is on your side because you both need to stand up against that it's your day not hers. Even if she is paying for it she needs to compromise with you and you need to make her understand that or your life will be hell

sailorarctic 22

Time to put your foot down OP. This is your wedding, not hers. You need to have a very serious sit down with your fiancé and fast and I personally would insist on being there when he tells her to back off. Seeing the two of you together as a united front should probably send the message that she's not going to have a huge influence on your marriage. If he's not willing to do that then I would reconsider marrying him because if he can't stand up to her for something as important as this then imagine what it'll be like if you have children and she starts to dictate how to raise theem. Good luck. Please update and let us know what happens.

OMG! The whole point of marriage and honeymoon is to defile each other officially and with all possible blessings from church, society, state, friends and family! In case you haven't got a taste of what to expect already which btw is also sensible. And as far as I remember the same religion that frowns upon defiling before marriage, states that married people leave behind their parents to become one flesh and soul. As a Monster-in-Law to be I can only say that this way she shows disrespect to her son and by association to herself too: did she have so little of the grey cells to give him that he now needs a double dose? Even if she finances the event, say thanks, maybe hug and kiss her and thats it, then its a gift and still you 2 choose how to use that gift.