By shs - 21/10/2010 19:43 - United States

Today, I found out the memory card our engagement photos were taken on has been corrupted, so all the images are lost. The guy who took the pictures said that this has never happened to him in the eight years that he's been a photographer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 091
You deserved it 3 279

shs_fml tells us more.

actually the technician the photographer works with determined that it may take 4 months to recover them. there's no guarantee that it would actually work though and it's extremely expensive.

Top comments

lol well if that isn't a sign your marriage is doomed I don't know what is!

102 - I don't understand why you'd be stuck paying for it if it's not your fault. Sure, it's expensive but you didn't cause the film to corrupt. I'd fight it.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It's kinda hard to transfer the images onto a CD in the first place when the CF or SD card is ****** up.

cyfclife 0

holy **** you're retarded. thank you allmidnighteyes. smart people still exist!

there's software you can use to recover corrupted files.

fakeaccountX 6

I lied. That actually happened to me 4 years ago while I was photographing this couple out in Guam. I just hate you.

schwancy 2

Reinact the entire engagement and take new photos.

Use image recovery software, simple! FML for reading such pathetic no brainer solution post

at least it was only engagement and not wedding

in the eight years he *has been* a photographer.

who gets a photographer for an engagement?

iTaylor 0

at least it wasn't your wedding photos

1. always makes copies and backups 2. this is one of the reason why digital cameras are worse than classic film. pics on film can only be lost if the film is exposed to light before being developed or if you lose the role of film. 3. try inventing a hybrid digital+film camera

#69 1. As someone already said, kind of hard to make CDs and Backups if the card was corrupt prior to computer access. 2. It's not like the cards corrupt right and left, it's probably just as likely that a role of film will be exposed to light, and digital cameras make taking photos much cheaper. I can snap off seven photos in a row and pick the best one, using traditional film, my options are more limited and costly, which leads to fewer oppertunities to get the crowning shot, especially at events. 3. Looking at #1, perhaps you should build a time machine as a precaution, so you can warn people that their card is going to corrupt and they should buy a new one. Awesome.

RedJester23 6
iSitt 0

memory cards are so old 2000's. pro cameras should now save images to the cloud. next decade there will be an fml about wedding photos lost because the server farm in Iowa burned down.

xXpeachesXx 0

Yeah I got 5 pictures of my wedding, and no CDs because of something similiar. be grateful you can do yours over again.

he'd better just send the memory card to data recovery center or something like that, doing it himself might just **** up the last glimpse of chance of recovering the photos. If it's physcially corrupted, then your life sucks. Print the damn photos out if anybody else is having a wedding.

actually the technician the photographer works with determined that it may take 4 months to recover them. there's no guarantee that it would actually work though and it's extremely expensive.

102 - I don't understand why you'd be stuck paying for it if it's not your fault. Sure, it's expensive but you didn't cause the film to corrupt. I'd fight it.

chuk_norris_fml 0

It's not the end of the world. No one looks at those things anyway.

I say this as an electrical engineer: don't accept your photographer's statement without further explanation. There is no reason why it should take 4 months to recover the files. For hard drives - which have mechanical parts and a sealed to protect them from air impurities - fine recovery can be a complicated technical process. However a Flash card contains only chips, no moving parts. Tell your photographer to use a different recovery service.

124 - Maybe not, but the bride and/or groom obviously wants them for a reason...

that would suck if the same thing happened at their wedding as well :L FYL OP

Hgielad_720 0

Well, that's kinda your fault.

Hgielad_720 0

For getting "engagement photos" taken. Duh :P

Hgielad_720 0

A lot of people don't realize I'm kidding....

Hgielad_720 0

A lot of people don't realize I'm kidding....

Hgielad_720 0

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that I said it was a joke.

too bad you just contradicted yourself. good job.

Hgielad_720 0

I only said I was kidding. Not that I was trying to make a joke or be funny. I succeeded at trolling and some people are just too dumb to realize that.

Wow give it up. If you never tried to defend yourself no one would've thought you were a dumbass. But it's a little too late for that.

Hgielad_720 0

111, I was referring to 108, no one else. So why don't you kindly mind your own.

112 - you are on a public board and you are boring. Kindly stop being one or both.

I was thinking the same thing!! who has engagement photos!! lol

Many people who have engagement parties have pictures taken. Damn kids.

I think it means you have tons of money you feel like throwing away, but you really hate charities. That's all I can figure.

I was thinking this as well what kind of dick gets a photographer for their engagement party this is just as bad as expecting gifts for the same said event

Not engagement *party* photos; photos to go in the engagement announcement. It's not an uncommon thing, people. Many couples do engagement announcements if they plan to wait awhile before getting married, or they use them as a save-the-date type announcement before the wedding details like location and time are hashed out. Mr. Doe and I had some done for grandparents and whatnot, but we just had a friend hit the button since Mr. Doe's a photographer by trade.

Slot of people get engagment photos. When my sister got engaged, a friend of theirs did photos for them. Not uncommon at all.

Yeah. Engagement photos. People take pictures at engagement parties. Any further explaination? -Kiki

THANK YOU for saying that. clearly most of the people on here have never been engaged, nor do they know what engagement photos actually are!

ok shit happens, yeah he was wrong for only having one copy but if it never happened to him in 8 years I can see why not, you should have been following up on him having backup copies too

Get Re-Engaged? Ya' know re-enact it

starberries 0

I don't think they were taking photos of the proposal.

lol well if that isn't a sign your marriage is doomed I don't know what is!

ifailplzinsultme 0
HamsteronA 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

1. I can spot one spelling and one grammar error in your post. 2. OP was establishing a clean long-standing record. 3. Lots of people 4. Your "got" is superfluous.

Haha true doc. If you want to correct someone's grammar, do it correctly please!

There's a lower standard for grammar and spelling in the comments than the actual fml, so why care about grammar mistakes in a post? And I marked YDI specifically because I doubt the intelligence of the OP when such basic grammar mistakes are made. And you get engagement photos taken by a professional with an arrangement, not during any one time event like your wedding, so you could just go a second time?

Call me blind, but I only found one error in the actual FML.

yourlifesfucked 0

found out THAT the memory card... 8 years he HAS been... 2 mistakes.

yourlifesfucked 0

also photos arent takien on a memory card, they're taken on a camera... HEIL GRAMMAR!

my2centsworth 15

"He's" can be a contraction of "he is" or of "he has".

70-I believe that could be used in this case, but it's still suitable not to use it.

tobyraza 0

You can't spell "grammar," so quit bothering others about it, troll.

I have no clue what 'superfluous' means but yeah! Stick it to 'em Doc!