Manoeuvres in the dark

By Anonymous - 12/12/2009 21:13 - Canada

Today, I had to perform with my orchestra at an event. I hadn't eaten at all because I had to get my blood sugar tested. During the middle of a song, I passed out. No one helped me and no one stopped playing, "because the song wasn't over and they didn't want to ruin the performance." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 705
You deserved it 6 266

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I´m a very dedicated performer, and have a bit of experience even though I´m still in school. I would stop a performance if someone onstage were to pass out, because you don´t always know why the person is passing out. I´d rather have a ruined performance than a harmed or even dead peer.

Yeah, but it's not that original. When I was in HS marching band, we performed in wool jackets in Florida. It happened more than once. Nobody stopped, because the band director was evil and would have given us probably 10 laps for stopping. I got 30 pushups for telling the girl in front of me to get back to where she was supposed to be and stop stepping on my feet.

Comments

That's definitely what performers are SUPPOSED to do. That doesn't mean it's a good thing or a bad thing, but don't act surprised.

b1a2n3a4n5a6s 0

We live in a shitty world where entertainment is valued more than a human life. If someone passes out, they need attention -right away-, because it could be any number of things that make them fall unconscious! OP was lucky her issue wasn't deathly serious. At the very least, there should be trained personnel standing off to the side who can step in, remove the unconscious performer and attend to their medical needs. That way the oh-so-precious 'show' can go on and a person's health and/or life isn't sacrificed. And I say this as a former Symphonic band member. Just because your director bombards you with that lack of respect for human life doesn't mean you have to buy into the spiel, people. I respect the art of music and plays, but I respect human LIFE more.

Welcome to performing arts, my friend. Ever heard of "the show must go on"? That applies to all performance.

Looks like you picked the wrong day to play possum. If you can't afford to deal with the consequences, then don't make such decisions. They did the right thing by playing on. If I was there, I would've done the same, as I would expect the same of others were that to happen to me. They had their priorities straight; you, unfortunately, did not. =/

yeah, what happened to you really sucks, but i guess their response wasn't anything out of the ordinary - they did exactly what i expected them to do.

It's true, they're supposed to just keep playing. You probably should have picked a better day to get that test.

man people really care more about some performance? that's sad- it doesn't matter if your performance group has been working hard, people come first!

Ummm I've been dancing competitively for 12 years. You stop if someone passes out, the judges will understand and give the dancers another chance to perform. What is wrong with you people?

Are you all retarded? I'm diabetic and when I get my A1C done I eat all day. you don't skip a single meal.

starberries 0

That's because A1C measures your levels over the past 3 months, so what you've eaten that day won't affect the reading. OP was having a fasting blood sugar test, which measures your CURRENT blood sugar level. You have to fast for 8 hours. (Which is why most people have it done first thing in the morning.)

I had similar issue with my choir. we were an international touring choir and of one of us passed out, we had to keep going! :(