Manoeuvres in the dark

By Anonymous - 12/12/2009 21:13 - Canada

Today, I had to perform with my orchestra at an event. I hadn't eaten at all because I had to get my blood sugar tested. During the middle of a song, I passed out. No one helped me and no one stopped playing, "because the song wasn't over and they didn't want to ruin the performance." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 705
You deserved it 6 266

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I´m a very dedicated performer, and have a bit of experience even though I´m still in school. I would stop a performance if someone onstage were to pass out, because you don´t always know why the person is passing out. I´d rather have a ruined performance than a harmed or even dead peer.

Yeah, but it's not that original. When I was in HS marching band, we performed in wool jackets in Florida. It happened more than once. Nobody stopped, because the band director was evil and would have given us probably 10 laps for stopping. I got 30 pushups for telling the girl in front of me to get back to where she was supposed to be and stop stepping on my feet.

Comments

Glucose tablets. Keep a container in your purse, take 1 or 2 when you feel faint. Available for cheap at any pharmacy, and they come in delicious fruit flavors. Or you could just make time to grab fast food.

USMC_wife91 0

Alot of people are so inconsiderate. Blood work for blood sugar is 'fasting' blood work. It could have also been a Glucose Tolerance test which takes 12 hours to do. Someone should have came to see if the OP was hurt, not neccisarily everyone.

USMC_wife91 0

Orchestra is not that big of a deal not to stop, just look like a bigger ass in the end for not stopping. Wow alot of people are cold hearted these days.

NotNegativeNews 0

It's not 'these days'- this is a traditional thing, and I'm sure this rule has been around for hundreds of years.

I'm in several different bands, and there is no way one person fainting is a big enough deal to stop an entire show. There's nothing you can really do about someone losing consciousness anyway. She's lucky it was an orchestra show and not something like marching band; if you pass out during a marching show you will get run over and someone will drag you off only to avoid a penalty at the end.

Your life sucks, because you hurt yourself. You don't deserve it though. And they're not supposed to help you. The show must go on. If you'd told them all ahead of time it might have been different so precautions could be properly taken to get you off the field safely by others and not interrupt the show everyone was putting on.

realdex 0

reminded me of a youtube video of korean dancers, where one of them got seizure and the rest just pretending she wasn't there. Then one of the TV crew dragged her to the backstage.

hemminkm 0

Wow. I can't believe the nerve of some people. I hope the same thing happens to everyone who posted they wouldn't have checked you either.

NotNegativeNews 0

It HAS happened to me, and people I care about- fainting, feeling sick, etc, even throwing up, is not an excuse to stop the show.

raiderh808 0

You show up to play, not pass out. I do absolutely nothing on performance days and I would never have any sort of medical procedure done within a week. Hell, when I was in high school.. I got sick the rehearsal the morning of biggest competition of the season. I ran off the field, puked and then ran back on and kept going. I was a percussionist in the pit at the time... many of the winds would just puke where they were.

Honestly,being a guitarist and violinist in an orchestra,I feel no sympathy.It was an important event,they won't stop it for just one person,it's not worth ruining a performance for.YDI

AmiNayaki 0

it sucks, but of course the orchestra isn't going to stop- you should have eaten between the performance and the blood test, or scheduled it for another day.