Manoeuvres in the dark

By Anonymous - 12/12/2009 21:13 - Canada

Today, I had to perform with my orchestra at an event. I hadn't eaten at all because I had to get my blood sugar tested. During the middle of a song, I passed out. No one helped me and no one stopped playing, "because the song wasn't over and they didn't want to ruin the performance." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 705
You deserved it 6 266

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I´m a very dedicated performer, and have a bit of experience even though I´m still in school. I would stop a performance if someone onstage were to pass out, because you don´t always know why the person is passing out. I´d rather have a ruined performance than a harmed or even dead peer.

Yeah, but it's not that original. When I was in HS marching band, we performed in wool jackets in Florida. It happened more than once. Nobody stopped, because the band director was evil and would have given us probably 10 laps for stopping. I got 30 pushups for telling the girl in front of me to get back to where she was supposed to be and stop stepping on my feet.

Comments

That's what happens when you're a musician during a performance, who is playing in a level beyond MIDDLE SCHOOL. That's the appropriate way to react for a professional musician.

NotNegativeNews 0

That was normal procedure for fainters in my choir too- it would be unprofessional to stop the song, and unless you're like, impaled on something, you can wait 1 more minute for the song to end. Our instructions were to quietly sit down if we felt like we were going to faint, and then be removed at the end of the song.

NotNegativeNews 0

Exactly. Jeeze, what do people expect, everyone to stop mid song and help you off, and then restart the song?

NotNegativeNews 0

Rubbish. It's normal procedure for orchestras, choirs, plays, dancers, etc. ( I think my comments are stuffing up- this was in response to the guy saying they should be held responsible for their negligence)

Actually, this doesn't really surprise me. I'd agree it'd be pretty heartless if the person immediately beside you didn't stop to make sure you were ok, (that way if you're having a heart attack and dying they could stop the song) but I wouldn't expect the entire orchestra to stop (unless it was the aforementioned scenario). My brother and sister perform in several orchestras/bands/choirs with their high schools and I imagine they have a similar policy.

xmagster 0

yeah, that sucks, but the show must go on... back in the old days, it was even more intense. my grandma watched someone fall off of the tightrope without a net when she was little in the 20s, and they kept going like nothing had ever happened. I'm not saying that the OP deserved it, but it is typically understood in theater or performing arts that you don't stop for any reason, so yeah it sucks, but not an FML.

capthavoc123 0

Wait, what? How does having to have your blood sugar tested mean you can't eat? You totally deserve it for not eating. If you didn't eat like you normally did, it would throw off the test.

palmtrees 1

No. They want your baseline blood sugar level, not the blood sugar level you're getting from whatever meal you happened to just consume. Usually, you are required to fast for 12 hours before a blood sugar test. However, they typically schedule them for first thing in the morning because it's not good to have people walking around all day having not eaten, so I say either fake or the OP is an idiot for not eating something AFTER the test.

Sorry, as a dedicated performance artist I agree with everyone else. You should have had your blood sugar tested on another day or something, especially if you knew you weren't gonna eat that day and had a performance. Performance artist fail. Shit, you're comfortable on the ground, you might as well stay there for a while. That's what happened to somebody who walked in and fainted during choir. We left her on the floor and told her to stay on the floor until we could get some help for her.

In my high school we did a large holiday show every year with 300 singers and 100 orchestra/band members so the singers were always on 7 rows of risers. There were 3 performances every year and at least one person passed out either on the bleachers or behind the scenes each night and the performances were never stopped. One girl even passed out and fell forward taking a few girls with her down the risers.

Now that's just reckless. Someone falling from a standing position (especially behind the bleachers) could get seriously injured from the fall. I hope someone was hanging out behind the bleachers to take care of them during the performance.