Long wait

By Candace - 27/01/2010 03:31 - United States

Today, my best friend planned a birthday party for me at the local Mexican restaurant. NO ONE showed up. We'd told the waiter there would be 18 arriving. Two hours later he brought me free ice cream. Even the non-English speaking waiters knew I was a loser. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 421
You deserved it 3 909

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your friends suck. That, in my opinion, is the FML. But, I don't know how you got the impression that "non-english speaking waiters knew" you were a loser. Did they come right out and tell you so? Or is it because they brought you free ice cream? A lot of restaurants give you a free dessert when it's your birthday, so that is probably why they gave you ice cream. You shouldn't think of it as a pity-treat. You need to build new friendships and re-build your self-esteem, because automatically assuming the waiters are thinking the worse kinda says you're not comfortable with yourself.

Awww... I'm sorry. Make new friends! I would have gone (I love Mexican food)!! :D

Comments

I like how you say "even the non-english speaking waiters knew I was a loser". That seems like saying "even a caveman can do it", implying that the group mentioned is just that stupid. Dislike. Hopefully you just meant that despite the fact that you hadn't told them in English that none of your friends were coming, they picked up on the situation anyway.

TRJADN 0

YDI for being alive and FYL for being alive

jennay8288 1

at least you have ONE person who cares about you. i feel your pain though. on my last birthday (i turned 21, too...) not one single person wanted or could take time to hang out with me..(except one text from my best friend who doesn't live in my state..) and when i talked to a few people about it they said they wished me a happy birthday on facebook and "that was enough" lmao and i didnt even have a computer then to regularly check my facebook..now deleted though...but ending my rant now.. yeahhh... one person is better than none, you did recieve freee ice cream. and hopefully you can find new friends because that stinks and i am sorry. birthdays are special and should be special regardless of age.

I'm not sure why the waiters being Mexican was relevant to this FML at all.

The patheticness was picked up even without the waiter being told nobody else was coming. Just adds to the pain.

Elksy 0

I'm pretty sure that when Spanish-speaking waiters see two people sitting alone at a table for eighteen for two hours, they understand that you are kind of a loser. Just because they don't speak English doesn't mean they're stupid.

carrotpuke 0

dios mio, speaking english is not a requirement for identifying rejects.

YDI, and F your waiter's life because he lost money thanks to you taking up his section with your non-existent party. Hopefully he spit in your ice cream :)

when I used to play online on my ps3(I'm hispanic btw but not mexican, lol) so the thing is sometimes I talked in spanish to my Hispanic friends online, so a few times people had said to me to "speak english we are in America". Lol I mean are Americans that stupid really? or WTF is wrong with them? that's so sad, but my point in this is that just because someone don't speak english doesn't mean that he/she would not undertand something so clear that you OP are a loser. so OP, FYL for thinking that people who don't speak english are dumb to understand something so obvious.  

That's because Americans tend to think all servers are located in the USA. I even had Americans telling me to speak English, because "This is America" despite the fact the server was mine, and it was located in Argentina (Spanish speaking country)

KuchkaNumberOne 2

Thanks for sharing your life story...

So what if no one showed up, you got free food!

namhowell 6

I definitely am sorry about what happened to you but how the heck did you know the waiter didn't speak/understand English? And did he tell you "here loser" while giving you the ice cream? Still, FYL though, pretty sad.

I hope I am not correct about the derogatory sound of the phrase "even the non-English-speaking waiters." Like they're not sharp enough to pick up on something unless it's glaringly obvious? Like their opinion is worth even less than anyone else in the immediate world's? I know this was sad and disappointing, and something similar once happened to me. I learned the hard way that acquaintances aren't friends. That was my mistake. I can't tell from your post if this is the same thing. But I definitely encourage you to take a hard look at how you regard other people and to question some of your own assumptions about them.