Long wait

By Candace - 27/01/2010 03:31 - United States

Today, my best friend planned a birthday party for me at the local Mexican restaurant. NO ONE showed up. We'd told the waiter there would be 18 arriving. Two hours later he brought me free ice cream. Even the non-English speaking waiters knew I was a loser. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 421
You deserved it 3 909

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your friends suck. That, in my opinion, is the FML. But, I don't know how you got the impression that "non-english speaking waiters knew" you were a loser. Did they come right out and tell you so? Or is it because they brought you free ice cream? A lot of restaurants give you a free dessert when it's your birthday, so that is probably why they gave you ice cream. You shouldn't think of it as a pity-treat. You need to build new friendships and re-build your self-esteem, because automatically assuming the waiters are thinking the worse kinda says you're not comfortable with yourself.

Awww... I'm sorry. Make new friends! I would have gone (I love Mexican food)!! :D

Comments

it might seem a little embarrassing, but on the bright side: you have a best friend who cares about you enough to plan the party and be there with you. and, hey, free ice cream.

lilbyrd43 0

damn your virtual myspace/facebook friends! DAMN them to hell

"pobre pendejo" that's what the waiter most likely said

Unless you're like under 14, people have a LIFE to live. Not everyone's going to have time to show up to a birthday party---it's special but it's not equivalent to weddings etc. Hosting a party at a restaurant and then bragging about it ("Yeah, I'm going to have 18 friends rock out, check this out") to a waiter is deserving of a public humiliation OP.

you have to say how many are coming so they can get you a table big enough, not bragging. If she thought 18 were turning up they probably replied to say they would and they should make time to come or phone to apologies if they couldn't make it.

This. If she IS over 14, you'd expect her friends would be mature enough to bother to call if they weren't gonna turn up.

Ms_Popsergeant 0

if he couldnt speak english how was he taking ppls orders

I don't understand how the language the waiters speak (or don't) is relevant at all...

this. This, big time. Just because a person speaks a different language doesn't mean they're stupid or can't understand a situation.

ArcherGirl82 0

I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming that she meant even people who couldn't understand her convo with her friend understood that she was being stood up...?