Hang in there

By Anonymous - 13/01/2012 01:07 - United States

Today, I was singing the National Anthem at a school game and totally forgot the words. So I kept singing the same two lines over and over. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 567
You deserved it 34 318

Same thing different taste

Top comments

that1guy1 13

You'd think if you're in charge of singing the anthem you'd have brushed up on it first... However if you were just in the crowd no big deal.

farnsworth 3

Haha in Canada that'd be more awkward O Canada! Uh.. O Canada! .....o Canada?

Comments

I was recording this yesterday to audition for a state tournament and forgot the words! I've sang it over a hundred times! there's most definitely a difference between singing it at school or learning it. anyone can do that. the fact that you have the guts,the voice, and the honor to do it means so much. I haven't messed up in front of people yet but sometimes you do go blank under intense pressure. I keep a tiny laminated piece of paper with the words on it in the palm of my hand where no one can see.. just in case :)

blair_x 12

Since there are a few posters here that don't know the lines of the Star Spangled Banner, I've taken liberty of posting it here below, for reference. And yes, this is entirely from memory. O, say can you see By the dawn's early light. What so proudly we hailed At the twilight's last gleaming. Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight. O'er the ramparts we watched Were so gallantly streaming! And the rocket's red glare! The bombs bursting in air! Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there! O say does that star spangled banner yet wave? O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave? <3

Atleast it's not the same lyrics but in two different languages like New Zealands anthem :L

hahayousucks 3

You twinkle-toed communist mother ******.

As a semi-professional singer who has to sing the national anthem pretty frequently for a lot of local events, I am ALWAYS freaked out that I will forget the words in the middle of singing it. Singing the anthem is way more high-pressure than any other song, because just about everyone will notice if you **** up. Thankfully years of memorization always take over for me and I've yet to screw up in public, but the possibility is always there and it scares me shitless. I totally feel your pain, OP. As for everyone accusing her of being an unpatriotic moron, I'd like to see you get up on stage and sing something that high-pressure without getting a case of nerves. By this point, publicly singing the anthem isn't an honor- it's a burden.

Still better than me... I never knew a word... I just move my lips so the headmaster thinks I'm singing during the school assembly

why are there so many people saying ydi/unpatriotic idiot? most people don't know their national anthem anyways.. and in front of a big crowd, anyone could forget the words. just have a small piece of paper with the words in your hand or something :)

It is actually a requirement to know the Star Spangled Banner on the U.S. Citizenship test...