Doubling down

By omgitserika - 18/11/2009 15:09 - United States

Today, I thought my online boyfriend was calling me, so the first line I said was "Hey, Baby." His wife answered with, "This is Jenny. Who's this?" After speaking for thirty minutes, I found out he's married, fifty-eight, and has two kids. I'm seventeen. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 179
You deserved it 71 234

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"online boyfriend". those were the only two words i paid attention to and just clicked YDI.

Haven't you seen any of these Dateline things? Online boyfriend, really? What did you expect?

Comments

SmittyJA24 26

Good grief! Kids these days & their imaginary friends. :-P

saying you deserved it would be an understatement. hahaha you must be the dumbest person on the face of the earth- are you 17 and in 5th grade?

deafgirlwalking 0

LOL - YDI for being an idiot. You two never met and you're calling him your boyfriend? You're a sad sad pathetic person.

roaminginsomniac 0

So, never met him, but he's your "boyfriend"? You're too young to be on the computer. Be thankful I'm not your parent.

I think most people would be thankful your not their parent. At 17 I'm pretty sure she's old enough to be on the computer and I don't think most parents would be overly upset at their kid loving someone for their personality alone.

On the other hand, most parents would be upset to find out that their 17 year old daughter was camwhoring for a 58 year old man, one whom she called her "boyfriend" even when he simply thinks of her as some hot online ******. Who ever said love was involved? Most likely, she thought of him as her "boyfriend" and he thought of her as his "bit of fun on the side". Girls can be stupid like that, especially when they have no self-esteem and start talking to random men online.

Tary - They only knew each other online. They weren't "getting it on". All you know from the OP is that she talked to him online. Anything else is complete assumption, so it's ridiculous to say she wasn't in love with him for his personality. It's all you know she knew about him. Personality does not = age. mf_yf - Who ever said cam whoring was involved? Certainly not the OP. All I'm saying is you can't make assumptions and all you know is that she talked to him and hadn't met him. It's more likely she loved the person she thought she was talking to for their conversations and his personality.

If you're saying I shouldn't make assumptions, don't make any yourself. Jesus Christ...hypocrisy much? You're ASSUMING this teenage girl has an emotional depth rivaling that of a kiddie pool in the drought season...which is pretty uncommon for teenage girls these days. So how about we each have our own assumptions, yes? Okay then. :D

mf_yf - I'm not making assumptions. I've only said it's just as likely it was a relationship based on personality rather than cam whoring, like your comments assume she was. Perhaps you should have worked harder on your reading comprehension in school instead of camwhoring online if you think this is the norm for teenage girls. Unless you're only thinking this is the norm so you could tell yourself you were an oh so special and unique little snowflake?

Ahhh, your arrogance, Twinklestar, amuses me greatly. No, I wasn't a camwhore back in my teenage years. I just know that in the culture we live in today, young girls are taught through songs and television that sex is what will get them the most attention. So a great many teenager girls equate sex with positive attention, and some equate positive sexual attention with love. I'm simply being realistic. So I'll thank you to take a big sharp pin to that ASTOUNDING ego of yours, okay? Thanks, darling!

Your profile says 21. Your "teenage years" were hardly any different. It's not arrogance to point out you're reading comprehension is failing you if you can't understand that I haven't made any assumptions here.

You've assumed that the girl remained sweet, innocent, and chaste while speaking to this man. You've assumed that they have an emotional connection to each other. And you've assumed that I am somehow inferior to you because of the assumptions I hold, making you not only a hypocrite, but an arrogant one at that. Great job making yourself look like a jackass. GREAT job!

No. I simply said you don't know that she didn't and that your assumptions are baseless. Go away and work on your reading comprehension.

At any rate, I just took a look at your profile, and you're only a grand two years older than I. So if you're going to reference my teenage years, for any good it might do you, you might as well be talking about your own. Anyways, you've started to bore me with your holier-than thou drivel and poorly-framed and thinly-veiled insults, so I'm gong to go laugh at some other FMLs and let you rant on and on and on like the arrogant twat you truly are.

Your assumptions are also baseless. We've both extrapolated and formed opinions based on what little information the original post provides. OH MY GARSH, that means that you and I are in the same boat!!! Have fun with your hypocrisy.

perdix 29

How old did he say he was? Did you tell him anything that was, oh, a bit, untrue? Did you give him and accurate height and weight, for example? Did you Photoshop your pictures? I don't have a problem with this whole "online boyfriend" thing. To me, it's like Second Life except without the irriating cartoons. The problem arises when you want to take it to First Life. You'd better make sure you meet him in a well-lit, heavily populated place that has numerous possible exits.

I can only imagine what HIS FML would read like... Probably something along the lines of "Today, I found out that the hot, 120 pound, 5'8", 28 year old woman I've been talking to online is really an ugly, 250 pound, 5'1", 17 year old girl. Also, my wife called the little bitch and now wants a divorce. FML."

perdix 29

You, my friend, myfriend_youfail, not do fail, because that was awesome! ;) If he had the extra space, he could have written, "I had felt bad that I told her I was 55 and informally separated."

Then she called my wife to let her kno that I am the father of he baby, I swear I never touched the bitch!

I don't think there's anything wrong with having an online bf, and I think the people who are over reacting and saying the OP deserved it are probably only parroting what they've heard other people say rather than actually giving any thought to why it's supposedly such a terrible thing. I'm sure it's not always the case, but loving someone for their personality alone without having met them could easily be considered more mature than just dating some guy at your school because your friends think he's cute, or any of the million other shallow reasons high school kids date each other. It's really not hard for a 58 year old to sound like a teenager. FYL OP, and his wife's and kids'.

I say it's a YDI simply because she swallowed all the lies he threw at her and because she revealed personal information to someone she met on the internet. Go watch Dateline NBC's "To Catch a Predator". That sort of thing actually happened to a girl in my home state recently. She started talking to some guy she found on the internet, and she gave him her phone number. After talking on the phone for a while, they agreed to meet up in a public park in her area. Once they met up, he dragged her off to a deserted area and raped her. In today's culture, people often confuse sex with love. Most online "relationships", especially those involving underage individuals, often involve nude or otherwise inappropriate pictures being pasted all over the Internet. So not only is there the risk of being physically and sexually assaulted of he gets his hands on any personal information, there's also the chance of having some VERY shameful pictures left up on the internet for everyone in the world to view. Kids shouldn't be "dating" people online. Period. I don't care how nice and safe the person on the other end of the interwebs seems, it's not an activity that emotionally undeveloped children should be participating in. Though really, I could also blame the OP's parents for this one. Parents should teach their children Internet safety.

You don't know what he told her, and for all you know he only lied about was his age and marital status. Those aren't difficult things to lie about. Also, you have no idea if she gave him too much personal information. All he had was her phone number and most people's facebook or myspace pages have more dangerous personal information on them than a phone number. At 17 she's hardly still a kid. A lot of 17 year old's here are living on their own and at university. Sure, there are plenty of horror stories of people who abuse the internet like this guy was obviously doing, but there are a lot more where people just have genuine relationships based on falling for the other persons personality online, and no one in this thread knows which case is true for the OP, just like you don't know whether or not they exchanged any photo's. You've probably spent too much time in dodgy chatrooms if you think this is the only kind of interaction people have with each other in online relationships. It's not her fault he lied, and the people saying nothing more than "online bf=ydi" are being a bit ridiculous and judgmental without enough information to be.

In this technological era, a phone number is enough to find out a person's entire name and address for about $10. That dangerous enough for you? As I posted earlier, I DID meet my current boyfriend online. But we were both mature and emotionally capable ADULTS. This is an underage girl and a much older adult. Can ya see the difference there??? And if you'd actually read the entire thread, you'd know that I have several reasons for thinking this girl is an idiot. Lern2Eengrish. Thanks.

Tary - Saying it's not mature without giving a reason doesn't actually make it true. If you think it's preferable to date people for shallow reasons and not just their personality that's entirely up to you, but just because that's your preference doesn't mean it should be anyone else's or that it's more mature. She didn't put her life in danger. He had her phone number. As I said above, most people have more dangerous information that could allow anyone on the internet to find them on their facebook or myspaces (full name and school or workplace is plenty to find someone irl if you really want to, but you can't do much with a phone number). Yes, there are plenty of internet horror stories. But there are also far more of people who met irl. Just like there are far more internet relationships that work out and where neither of the people lie to each other. Perhaps you should think your opinions through a little more before judging others and repeating the same lines you hear everyone else saying without giving any reasoning behind them.

Cell phone numbers don't require an address and name to register and therefor can't be traced like that. It's also entirely free to get far more information on someone who simply has a myspace page or a website (when you register a domain name in most cases your making your full name and address easily accessible to anyone aware of your webpage to find in about 20 seconds). And underage for what? She's certainly not underage for using the internet. Or for having a bf. These are the only things you know about her. In most countries, 16 is the legal age for sex and many students are already living away from home and at university at this age so saying she shouldn't have because she's a "kid" is a bit ridiculous. It's not a thread, it's a comments section and not wanting to read all your boring comments doesn't mean I need to "L2eengrish".

*facedesk* A phone number isn't enough to find a person? *repeated facedesk* Okay, let me make this simple for you. Google "reverse search telephone directory (cell numbers included)". Click any given website that fits those parameters. Enter your phone number. A free result will yield the city, state/province, and country the number is located in, based on public records. A small fee will then give you the specific address, and often the name of the account holder. This is useful in finding restaurants and places of business. But since most websites do not only limit the search to business numbers, it is also QUITE handy for finding out where any given person lives.

"Underage" in this case, means "someone who is not yet legally an adult". And an underage individual getting involved with a married overage individual may, based on the evidence, constitute an emotional affair. If she EVER sent him inappropriate pictures or "talked dirty" with him, criminal charges of sexual misconduct may be applied. Additional charges may or may not be brought against the overage individual if his wife decides to take him to court for divorce. As for our "boring comments", I suggest you read them before making sweeping generalizations about them, so you don't end up looking like a fool who didn't read before speaking.

dspadres 0

I've heard e-peen but never cyber-coot. Makes sense really. I like.

I really don't think I even have to explain why this I a YDI

driedpeaches 0

stop being a camwhore for old dudes.

perdix 29

I just looked at your profile pic and I want to give you my credit card number right now! ;)