Cliché for real

By fuckinghicks - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, while going on a jog through the countryside, I discovered that it is actually possible outside of crappy TV shows to have a rifle leveled at you, and to be shouted at to, "Get off my land." FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 319
You deserved it 17 700

Same thing different taste

By stressedartist - 09/09/2016 12:43 - United States

Today, I ran over Oprah. FML
I agree, your life sucks 499
You deserved it 70

Top comments

Sinamoi 18

Ol' Man Jenkins is not pleased with all these whippersnappers on his lawn.

you don't deserve a gun being pointed at you but you shouldn't run on someone's private property either

Comments

Tali147 16

Did he say, "You ain't from around here, are ya?"

Actually, us rednecks have more standard lines than that. We even take classes on how to intimidate them darn city-folk. -Always clean fingernails using your hunting knife. -Spit your tobacco juice at least six feet to achieve maximum disgust and awe. -Rest your shotgun lazily on your shoulder when talking to strangers -Explain your huntin' scars using exaggerated stories. There are more, but for now I'm going to say this once, so you'd better listen: "Nah, son, ya'll best be headin' home now, before Ah blast ya to kingdom come."

Tali147 16

I'll check my University for any classes on redneck culture. My friends back home would be most impressed. This is probably a silly question but what is Kingdom come?

74 - "Kingdom come" is a beautiful little thing us country folk have titled heaven. You may also hear the term "pearly gates" being thrown around from time to time, or even "the great trailer park in the sky."

23-I'm friends with a lot of rednecks and hillbillys, and that was spot on. Lol

pheebs314 17

Would you want someone jogging through your yard? I sure as hell wouldn't... Especially not a complete stranger.

Would you point a gun at the random stranger just for that? He was just jogging for goodness sake, not trying to break in the house!

Pyapi, Yes, yes I would! Do you or have you ever owned anything? We work hard for what we have and we don't want a bunch of strangers tramping through our property! Not to mention liability if said trespasser gets hurt on your or my property!

He doesn't know that. Anyone who owns a large enough piece of land has to think about animals, hunters, trespassers, and thieves on a regular basis.

pheebs314 17

Just because he pointed the gun doesn't mean he was planning to shoot him. I see it as extra incentive for the other person to run right off my land and back onto public or their own property.

If he just fought with his wife.. Then maybe a gun in hand isn't a good idea...

Patrolling the property with his gun, looking for variou things, comes across OP and points the gun for humor. Duh.

Wouldn't the presence of the rifle in the farmer's hands have been enough to get the message across? Aiming it at the tresspasser takes it to a different level.

I was going to launch a tirade about people and guns, but I will just say that where I grew up there was a guy who would pull his shotgun out if people trespassed on his property and everyone said he was just a crazy old man. Funny how crazy old men seem to be becoming the norm.

#35, I do own a few things, actually. I wouldn't immediately go to such drastic measures, though. I understand one has to defend themselves but becoming violent right off the bat is never a good thing!

TheDrifter 23

That ain't the violent response. Most country folk understand city folk are a bit dim and don't really understand "no trespassing" signs or property rights, so the gun is for emphasis, to help them understand that they are breaking a law that the land owner holds dear. If he had wanted to get violent, this would be a missing persons report and not a city kid's FML.

What would make you think that that couldn't happen outside of TV?

SHAMUS_the_WITTY 18

The fact that it's probably one of the oldest and most cliche television tropes?

RedPillSucks 31
Obey_StudBoii 23

Just walk away and don't look back.

*adds yet another entry to his "Things I Will Do When I'm Old" log book*

Busman's holiday, Doc. You plug 'em, you'll have to patch 'em.

When I was younger I actually had an old man wave a broom at me while shouting. Just because it's seen as a ridiculous cliche doesn't mean it never happens, it became a cliche for a reason.

Way better than having a rifle pointed at you and hearing "you sure look purty"

His cataracts are probably so bad he wouldn't have been able to get a round off on you anyway.