Building bridges

By fml - 22/05/2012 23:54 - Australia - Sydney

Today, I saw a psychiatrist for the first time. He asked me what had brought me there, so I said I needed to get over some issues. He told me to close my eyes and visualize myself constructing a bridge. I paid to get told to build a bridge in my mind's eye. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 624
You deserved it 4 694

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm sure that's not all he offered you -_-

Build a bridge... And get over it?? Haha

Comments

Its the start you need to finish the bridge.

Well, OP, you're not a psychiatrist, so how do you know that it doesn't help you on a subconscious level. You'd be amazed at what can affect you positively. The human mind is a strange thing indeed.

And plus, it's only the first session. You'll find a lot of things you are told to do will seem tedious and silly, but they really do help. Just relax and bile that bridge.

Goddamn I hate iPods sometimes. I should proof read things with more care xD So here is my correction for all you FML grammar nazis :P *build

1crabbygirl 10

Current psychology doesn't deal in the subconscious or that outdated crap. It is cognitive, helping you find your own solution.

Finding the right psych who is available when you are is a bit of a trial-and-error thing that will end up costing you, but if that means you end up getting past whatever is holding you back, it's worth it. Hang in there, mate. I speak from experience and I live in Sydney, by the way. There are a few low-cost clinics around (I'm assuming that you are most likely living in the Sydney-Newcastle-Wollongong are) that are actually training places for psych students and some of these open on weekends. Ask around. All the experience in the world doesn't count if your psych doesn't have that sort of connection with you. Good luck.

Atleast youll know how to build a bridge;)

Blonde_Layla 7

Or maybe you should have seen a psychologist . And these methods like building a bridge and other visualization techniques are often used in therapy .

reddudeover 2

Yeah yeah, we hear ya, you just want the damn drugs!

If your psychiatrist was a Pink Floyd fan, you'd be building a wall instead. "All in all it was just a brick in the wall."

Only if you're going by Another Brick in the Wall part "2" which I wasn't. :P

perdix 29

I've always thought it was, "All in all, YOU'RE just another brick in the wall." Someone ought to keep track of people who get song lyrics wrong.

Casy13 6

He probably wanted to say: 'Build a bridge and get over it.'

TarieBoo 2

Way to be the fourth person to make this stupid joke

Did he pay you for building the bridge for him?