Building bridges

By fml - 22/05/2012 23:54 - Australia - Sydney

Today, I saw a psychiatrist for the first time. He asked me what had brought me there, so I said I needed to get over some issues. He told me to close my eyes and visualize myself constructing a bridge. I paid to get told to build a bridge in my mind's eye. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 624
You deserved it 4 694

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm sure that's not all he offered you -_-

Build a bridge... And get over it?? Haha

Comments

perdix 29

You did say there were issues you needed "to get over" -- he was trying to help you get over them, literally! Instead of getting over the issues, I think you needed to get to the bottom of them. Imagine yourself drilling a hole. Do that for 50 minutes and send me $250. Poof! You are cured.

Don't ever go to any psychiatrist if you don't trust them. You're just wasting your time.

Don't ever go to any psychiatrist if you don't trust them. You're just wasting your time.

Usually psychiatrists start off with an exercise and build off from it. It helps create a connection and helps them to better understand you, OP. Don't give up just yet!

Clearly the doctor wants you to think about your problems and "build the bridge" to help yourself get over them. If you weren't being so negative about visiting him it may work for you, because you only get what you put in for issues like these

This is why you should do your research when seeking mental health services. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who prescribe psychotropic medications, they do not provide any form of therapy. They can refer you to a therapist and probably will but they are not trained in the same way that psychologists are and don't offer the same services. That being said, that's a truly unprofessional thing to say to someone seeking help. If OP were able to "get over it" they wouldn't be looking for professional help, plain and simple.

Onewhosinz 8

You're partly correct... Most psychiatrist do not do therapy, but some do. And they do go through the same training as a psychologist, they just also go through medical training on top of that so that they can prescribe medication. (worked in a counseling office for 6 years, with both kinds of professionals). Hopefully OP continues with the therapy and/or medication and gets better. I know it helped me many years ago.

1crabbygirl 10

The professional didn't say that. That is a cliche based on the actual mental technique of visualizing a solution. Is no one teaching you cognitive approach? Are you a freshman or just barely a sophomore?!

Maybe, the OP just meant psychotherapist. Common misunderstanding. People do their research before paying so much, I'm sure.

metalbunny 5

Lol build a bridge and get over it

Was this also your first time learning what a psychiatrist is?

xxvwarrior 0

Well if you don't agree with it, construct the bridge and make him jump it!